Hard drive noises

bangs777

Hi I am having a similar problem regarding this except mine is a 3 yr old seagate barracuda 1tb hard drive..I noticed the problem recently..I tried with HD tune;it didn't detect any error..the noise is just loud enough(not loud in standard scenario) for me to get irritated..the pc actually got hung(once) last night..I am doubting my PSU as well, as it is just : 400w,20A,no effiency rating,getting loud too; not from a good recommended manufacturer,pretty old too..could it be that it is not providing enough power to the HDD..I actually run 2 hdd and a card hd6670..would be good if somebody with prior experience could explain it to me as I am considering buying a CX430/CX500 or a new HDD..

A good PSU is never a bad investment.

With that out of the way, you could get some software to watch your voltages. The hard drives will use the +5V and +12V rails, so watch those. A general rule of thumb is you want your measured voltage to be within + or - 10% of the rated. So the +5V should be between 4.5 and 5.5V, the 12V should be between 10.8 and 13.2V. Personally, I get a little uncomfortable if I see voltages outside of + or - 5%.

Run some benchmarks and watch the voltages, if they dip or spike outside of that 10% range you've got a problem.

I have not used this software, but it seems like it would be fine for monitoring the voltages: http://www.hwinfo.com/

Hey bangs777. If you always hear the noise, are you sure it's coming from your HD and maybe not a CPU fan or PSU fan?. You could narrow it down by powering down, removing and leaving off the side panel,listening to where the noise is coming from.If it sounds like it's from your 1TB drive, I would disconnect the power plug on the other HD, and maybe even the optical drive, but NOT the CPU heatsink fan. If the noise is still there, save important data right to external media right away. It is also always good to have a good name brand PSU, cheap PSU's can put out noisy, unstable power and cause all types of pc maladies.

Back