Hard Drive not found on Proliant server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I'm trying to install Windows 2000 on my HP Proliant ML330 server. I have 2 hard drives on this machine. They are set up as follows:

Array 1
RAID 0
40 GB
Bootable
Cable Select
Controller 0 primary

Array 2
RAID 0
200 GB
Not Bootable
Cable Select
Controller 1 primary

The server seems to see them just fine in BIOS and in setup screens, and says they are both online. However when I go into W2K setup, it says that it cannot detect any hard drives installed on the computer, and tells me to exit setup. Anybody know what is going on?

Thanks in advance for the help.

search here you will find you are missing the scsi drivers for the scsi chipset controller
go to HP and download the drivers make a floopy per there intructions
on install of W2K F6 will load drivers from floppy drive use a new or very clean floppy
not sure about your box ,but newer HP's servers can use usb flash
HP has utility for making flash boot to load drivers

Hey,

Thank you for the help, but I tried that and it did not work. After installing the SCSI controller I still get the same error at the beginning of the install.

Any other ideas?

You running Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server or just plain Windows 2000 Professional on that Server?

I originally had the drives configured like that and got the same error. I've also unplugged my non-bootable drive and tried installing w2k with just one drive attached, set up as master. Still get the drive not found problem.

Are the drives connected directly to the Poliant motherboard or are they connected to a add-in card?

Tmagic, you think a separate scsi controller will solve the problem? I'm very confused as to why the computer can see the hard drives in BIOS, and yet W2K cannot detect them. Last night I also booted up using Knoppix 5.1 and that OS could not see them either!

If a different scsi controller will solve the problem, do you have a suggestion as to which specific controller to buy?

Thanks!

... sorry, realized I didn't answer some of the questions above.

Yes these are scsi drives, and they are plugged directly into the motherboard, not on PCI scsi controllers

I've tried w2k setup with both of the drivers suggested above. Same problem.

Knoppix is notorious for not supporting server SCSI controllers. If you want to boot a Linux off a CD, use a more server-oriented distro like Fedora or SuSE or whatever.

You are supposed to use the HP-provided SmartStart CD to install Windows on ProLiants. SmartStart will install Windows with all the drivers needed for the machine. If you do not have your original CD (which would be outdated anyway), download a new one from HP.

I have the smart start CD, however it has a problem booting off of it. Probably scratched up too bad or something.

I didn't know they were readily available from HP. I will try this out. Thank you.

So I've downloaded another copy of SmartStart, and while it boots up differently than the copy that came with the computer, they both end up taking me directly to the bash prompt. I don't know why this is happening.

Can anybody tell me how to stop it from doing this, or tell me how to get my drivers installed using bash commands?

Hmm.. Do you have any extra hardware installed in this server? An extra video or storage controller? Anything that is non-HP and could confuse SmartStart?

I've now stripped it down to just the bootable hard drive, the HP-supplied cd drive, and the HP supplied video card. Same problem. No other non-essential, non-HP supplied hardware is installed.

Does anybody maybe know of a version of Linux that would be able to detect my hard drives? All I've tried installing so far is Windows 2000 Pro and Knoppix 5.1. If there is a Linux OS that is good at resolving these kinds of issues I will give it a try. However, I'd like to refrain from buying Windows Server or any software I would have to pay for.

delete raid array or disable raid in bios
I have a cheap windows server edition for sale ,but I lost the keys
it is a genuine MS disc
PM if interested

Is this one of those HP machines where you have to set the OS type in BIOS and say whether you are running Windows or Linux or "other"? Maybe try setting it to Linux and then boot SmartStart?

Testing the system RAM can't hurt.

Pretty much all non-consumer Linux have the cciss driver.

RHEL is officially supported by HP and with a little persuading you can install HP original drivers and utilities in CentOS (free RHEL clone). This way you can even manage your RAID controller from Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back