Hard Drive problem, win98 installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMI

I hope it isn't wrong place we443y ask.

I want to install windows 98 to my old 166MHz computer. When i try to install then it says that windows setup requires 'largest executable files to run'. Then i bypassed memory checking but it still says that i don't have any free memory for install. Yesterday i connected old hd as a slave in my newer computer. It didn't work at first but then i changed the drive letter and i don't know what i did after that. Anyway it started to work and i formated it. I can save and copy files to 2,36Gb drive. But when i put it back to an old computer as a master then it can only read the contents. It says - free memory 0. When i connect old hd as a master to my newer computer then it says the same.

My english is not perfect but i hope that you guys understand what problem i have.

Is that someting with partitions?
-------

i have compaq deskpro 2000 and i cant enter to bios. I know that compaq bios uses a small space of hd for setupfiles and diagnostic but i dont know how do i fix the problem.

------
I found that old HD is NTFS filesystem i need to change it to FAT32. Will it help?

Sorry for double post.

I have a new problem.

When i reach to win98 setup it gives an error message "w98 caused a general protection error fault in module krnl386.exe"
and second user.exe
after that
standart mode...
raw fault frame .........

I took hd out and put it to my second computer, same thing happens. I have read that it may be a ram issue but my main computer has not some hardware issues. I still got "windows setup requires 'largest executable files to run' " but i can pass it.

Now i can make folders running in dos but i can not copy. I can copy (within ???) XP when i put old hd to my second computer as slave.

What could be the problem?

btw i made FAT32 partition and 200MB MBR partition.

----
"support.microsoft.com/kb/187511"

"Place the Windows 98 installation files in a folder whose UNC path contains no more than 240 characters" <--I don't understand.

btw i made FAT32 partition and 200MB MBR partition.
Good news on the discovery that Windows 98 is Fat32 only

Here's the best idea though

Put the Windows CD in and boot from it
Instead of formatting your Harddrive, this time remove the Partition
If you cannot easily remove the Partition using this option, just use an Xp setup CD to do it (or any other) Actually Gparted is a free CD that can remove a Partition for you

Anyway, once removed, then re-setup Windows 98, it should work this time :)

I removed partition.
I restarted and put win98 cd in it.
Now it don't give me errors like "windows setup requires 'largest executable files ....' "
Now there is a new error message something with temporary files. Cannot create temp files or something like that. Last one occurs after the setup has loaded. I tried to make new partition with win xp cd but its the same.

What i must to do with my hard drive to beeing able to install win98 on it. I allready made it FAT32 but then errors occur (windows setup required ...). What win98 needs? How can i setup hd for 98 requirements from my other computer?

Well you could plug the Harddrive into your other computer, and try setting up Windows 98 from there (although you obviously should disconnect the current Xp? Harddrive first)

This sounds like a Ram error actually, you could run Memtest on your Ram (on the computer you are having issues with, whilst 98 is being installed on the other computer) ;)

Can i install win98 when harddrive don't have any partitions?
I allready tried with my other computer but i will try again with no partitions on it.

Yes and no

When you start the Windows setup, you will be asked to setup a Partition (Note only 98 does this, Xp and later will automatically setup a Partition)

Mine dosen't ask to setup a partition.
error message (something like that) "Cannot create temp directiory, it may cause too much files on the system?/??? root.
I think the error is caused by no partition exist. I can't go to c: because there are no C: drive, i cant explain due to my english skills.:p

i tried fdisk but i can't do nothing in standard mode, i will search for a solution. fdisk /x <<<yea

Uuuhuu...it started intsalling. Thank you for (partition) help.

When you start the Windows setup, you will be asked to setup a Partition

Yes in 98 you must do this

Boot from CD
Create a full partition
Format (quick ideally) to Fat32
Continue installing Windows

All this preferably on the other computer (in case of an unknown hardware fault)

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

I have created only dos partition but it works.
---------
I have compaq deskpro 2000 pc 5166 and i can't get to the bios. Is there any cd bootable F10 setup diagnostics or sth. I have found only for diskette and its hard to find some working diskette. Or are there any setup installation program what i can place to c: and start in from cmd (without w98) or caldera dos?
I need get to the BIOS.

One more question. Does anybody know my product details, like year, max vram or other specs. There aren't any on the internet or there is .....asdfasf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back