Hard drive recommendation for media storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

andoyan

Hello All,
I am putting together a unit and am looking for a hard drive, can some one recommend one, I will be using my pc, to turn my super 8 videos from home movies to burn it on a DVD.
any and all help would be appreciated.
Jon

Buy the largest one you can afford. As a general rule the higher the capacity the faster the drive (this isn't always true esp if they are close to the same size). Speed won't really even matter unless you are doing a lot of editing to the videos, and you'll probably be processor limited on that anyway.

So I would say nothing under 1TB. And unless you are extremely concerned about power usage I wouldn't go for any of the 'green' drives or any that are under 7200rpm (I also wouldn't go over 7200rpm).

In my experience WD is the most reliable. Seagate has had some issues recently although they may have resolved them. A WD Internal 1 TB can be had (currently) for about $95 USD with free shipping and no tax if you live outside of California. Check Here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...150014 50001306 103530090&name=1TB and higher I have some WD's actually running for way over the 5 years they are typically rated for (some up to 8 years). In the end all drive fail typically due to mechanical problems. Thats why SSD drive are all the rage (no mechanical parts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back