Hard drive set up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i have a problem. I am trying to add a 250 gb western digital hard drive and im trying to add it into my emachines t3302 desktop computer. Im not at home yet but when i do ill give you info on what hard drive it is. It is sata but when i connect everything in it and i turn it on, it doesnt recognize the hard drive. I am using the system recovery for my emachines onto my new hard drive but it isnt working cause the hard drive could not be recognized

Whenever you add a brand new hard drive to your PC, it has to be formatted before you can use it. "My Computer" won't recognize it but it should show up in Disk Management. Format it through Disk Management.

Are you replacing your old hard drive with this new hard drive or are you adding it so you now have two hard drives?

Is it showing up on your BIOS screen?
If not, then it's not being seen, check in BIOS to make sure SATA is even enabled, which is possible if you weren't using it previously.

Incase you didn't know...
Your BIOS is usually gotten to via DEL or F2 keypress very shortly after powering on the PC, you are likely prompted for a short time at the bottom of the screen on power on.

You have both the SATA power and cable connectors attached to the drive?
If only one or the other that would do it! 8)

It usually is enabled by default but you enter the BIOS to check. I don't know which key it is on Emachines but it should say, press some key to enter Setup or BIOS. If your old hard drive was a SATA drive too, then you shouldn't have to worry about whether or not it is enabled in the BIOS.

For a new blank SATA hard drive I don't think a recovery disk will work. You'll need a full Windows XP CD (I'm assuming you have XP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back