Hard drive shows up in BIOS but not in My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, Earlier today windows wouldnt even load up as i kept getting a blue screen. after i get this fixed, my 40 GIG I:/ Drive will not show up in My Computer. Any help?

*Clicked on wrong forum, would a mod please move it.

its pretty old.

I bought the 80 GIG on December of last year because one day i got a blue screen and the problem was the 40 GIG. so the 80 GIG is my main drive now, and the person who fixed my computer put the 40 gig back in.

the hard drive is probably 2 or more years old.

in bios it says Primary Slave: Maxtor

I've been reading around the forums and some say Right-Click on my computer and click manage and go to your drives. it only shows the C:/ there aswell with no I:/ (the 40 gig)

Well this is just great....i tried uninstalling the drive and reinstalling it but unfortunatly im back at the blue screens. I fixed the blue screen by disabling Norton GoBack which has been keeping my computer alive for the last 7 months because its a hunk of crap.

i dont know any way of loading windows. i cant get it to work in safe mode or in any mode. so not only have i lost my 40 gig i've lost all the files on my 80 gig.

It seems you lost your data, if you`re completely unable to get into Windows. Maybe someone would figure out how to do it.

I recommend to format the two drives completely (of course, if you have a XP cd).
I really hope that the old drive isn`t dead. Most harddrives last only for 5-6 years. Of course that depends on the drive`s usage.

i was able to get the computer working again by taking out the old hard drive, after it started working i hooked it back up again. The 40 GIG will show up in Device manager now but it wont show up in Disk Managment. i've also used the disc for it and still no luck.

Do you have important data on the 40gig old drive? Can you access the data?

If you can, rescue all your data, and format BOTH drives. Complete format. Then, proceed to install Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back