Hard drive spindle

D

Dalton

I noticed on some hard drives that the hole underneath like where the spindle is is covered by what looks like a round silver thing and some aren't and shows the brass in the hole. Does it matter if some don't have that cover?

It probably doesn't matter too much in the scheme of things, especially if it came out of the box looking like that. But, my thought is tha the sticker does help.

Yea I'm wondering if I could just put some tape over it or something or maybe it get's to hot right there or might hurt it.

It's all cosmetics, the drives are still sealed (with the exception of a filtered ventilation port) regardless of how they look. Filtered ventilation ports are designed to allow drives to breath. This allows the drive to operate at different altitudes without creating a vacuum or pressure point, that could warp the drives housing. If you start placing tape on the drive, you could risk blocking the ventilation port. There is also the risk of creating an insulated heat barrier with tape, which could cause the drive to get even hotter than normal when heat dissipation is reduced. Though simply covering a small hole would likely not effect heat dissipation at all.

Maybe I will just leave it alone. Some holes the brass is all the way up and flush but some have a deep hole and covered with that silver thing but this one didn't have anything over it but inside their are no openings in the hole so should be ok. Just an older one gonna be used as a secondary but still wanted to know in case something wasn't right. Thanks for the help guys.

As I said before, if you got it without the sticker, just leave it be. The manufacturer should know what they are doing haha. Plus, mechanical drives are almost guarantee'd to fail, so the 'benefit' would be marginal.

Understand that but maybe someone pulled it off at some point, just a guess. I mean because 2 hard drives here are the exact same model and one hole is covered and one isn't but no big deal, I will leave it well enough alone cause when it comes to hard drives you don't wanna mess around lol.

Back