Hard Drive Upgrade Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfaizan91

I want to upgrade my computer's almost everything. so i was just thinking of switching the hard drive over because of all the programmes and files that are on it. Then i have heard to do a repair install of windows XP. i wanted to know are my programs still going to work? or if there is another way to do this

Hi

if you change the hard drive then you are going to need to do a full reinstall of windows including any programs that you have installed.

if you use a program such as ghost or acronis true image to make a clone of the drive that would work.

Regards

okay i got acrnois but if it makes a clone of the drive won't it alos make clone of all da motherboard chipset drivers bla bla leading me back to da problem at square one?

yes it will, and Windows would not work without it. And just what is 'da problem at square one' ?

i want all my programs to be on my new computer with the least hassle so jus switching hard drives would be easy

if u are putting this in another system then the MB drivers are still going to be there to.

nickc not sure what you're implying.
The Repair will work
Yes there will be old reminants of drivers (that will not be getting used)
This is the way of Repair, ie even a virus can remain

But for the answer required, a Repair will work

Nahhh hang on a mo he's talking about taking a drive from a PC and sticking it into another PC, well that aint gonna work unless the MOBO and components are identical, he's gonna get a BSOD for sure, and i dont think anyone yet has found a way of repairing that, he'll need to do a full install on the new Board and add all of his programs back again...

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back