Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grr_San_jose_Ca

Ok guys guess what happened today i was shuting down windows then the whole power of the house just went down........so then when i turn my computer back on it wont boot i try everything fixing it from the console but every time it told me if i wanted to log into C:/Windows it would freeze so now we have a problem right? o by the way the HD id IDE...now back to my story. So then i try to reinstall windows but it wont copy the files onto the hard drive I thought it was the cd but i tried another one and same thing it wouldnt copy so now im starting to think that it's the CD drve and i pull it out replace another it with another one and then nothing happens same thing it wont copy.......... :( well i put another hard drive in (20 gig about 4 years old) and it works so now i boot into windows (with the old hard drive) and then i try to format my hard drive but it wont let me it tells me something like windows could not complete formating so now ive tried every thing including changing a coulple settings. But now i have to buy a new one and keep running the 20 gig hard drive in the meantime while i order my new one. Thats when i want you guys to help me choose one under 80 dollars please just payed rent and car payment. and thanks for helping me guys :) hope you reply.

unless you have already erased your drive in your attempt to reinstall windows... hold F8 down while you boot up, then choose "use last known good configuration", see if that works. -or- hold down F8 while you boot up, choose safe mode and once you're in windows, system restore it to a point before the power outtage/surge

before you buy another drive, go onto the hard drive manufacturer's website and download a tool to check the drive for errors, the drive may be ok

teentech said:
did you have a surge pertecter?
teentech has a good point, if you did not protect your computer via a surge suppressor, then you probably got a power surge (which often times occurs right before a power outtage) and you could have fried the drive (among other components as well)

Well nothing was damaged as far as i can tell but when i try to choose the hard drive that doesnt work any more in the bios its suppose to read samsung but it says @&*#)$&HJK#@) Surley it must be corupted im going to have to buy a new one so help me choose one guys.

P.S remember under 80 dollars

i don't have a recommendation for you...

but I'm still not convinced that your drive is bad. it seems like you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new drive. did you try anything I suggested?

Yes the drive is bad because while i was trying to reinstal windows it would freeze and while it would try to boot up it would make a "clicking" sound then it would freeze. surley the drive is broken i tried what you said cody i pushed f8 but it wouldnt even show the menu it just click and click and then it froze so im stuck with my old HD so thats why i need you to recomend me a hard drive that will last me some time thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back