TechSpot

hard drives both unrecognized

By Tweek43110
Mar 17, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok heres the deal:

i got a old hp pavilion from some friends and it had a virus on the main HD so i formatted it and reinstalled windows.A week or 2 later i accidentally unplugged the HD and put it back in and now my pc doesnt recognize a thing.Ive gone into setup and tried to configure it and still nothing(recognizes CD-rom and floppy still), just starts up the goes to a "operating system not found" screen.I have tried reinstallin windows 98 again but it just cannot find either hard drive. PLZ HELP. i dont anything else to try so thats y im here.

I can give u any info on this pc to help me out here.All help is appreciated
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Did you do the unplug thing while the computer was running? IDE devices are not hot-pluggable and there is a good chance you damaged the hard drive or the IDE controller..

Did you reconnect the cables just like they were before? Are they all properly plugged in, no bent pins?
  3. Tweek43110

Tweek43110 TS Rookie Topic Starter

yes

it came unplugged while it was off...but i may have pushed it in while it was running. The light does come on ,on the hard drive, but just stays on like its continuosly trying to read it, and doesnt seem to be making any noise,so im guessing its fried
  4. agronick

agronick TS Rookie Posts: 120

If the light stays on its because its not getting a good connection. Make sure that its in.
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

this may sound dumb, but are you sure the cables are connected correctly?
  6. Tweek43110

Tweek43110 TS Rookie Topic Starter

yes

yea the plugs are in as secure as they can be, and correctly connected,and the HD is set up as a master.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.