HardOCP list hardware restriction with ATI R200 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

From www.HardOCP.com :

Hardware RESTRICTION confirmed...
It's a hardware limitation. If fog is enabled (vertex or table, doesn't matter, I tried every DX8.1 fogmode) the R200 switches to a fixed AA pattern - OGSS - so vertical edges can't be filtered in 2xFSAA... This is from a LEGIT ATI insider. I wonder how many more restrictions there are.... Now we know why most of their driver sets had the fog tables disabled... =)

Sourced from Rage3d forum and also
here add this from Anand tech...

"With the release of ATI's 7.66 beta drivers they have integrated an anisotropic filtering control panel into the Radeon's driver set thus making it much more user friendly to enable this higher quality filtering. The new slider in the drivers will actually select the maximum degree of texture anisotropy that will be used, the Radeon hardware will calculate what levels of anisotropy should be used depending on the situation thus giving the Radeon 8500 a much smaller performance hit when anisotropic filtering is enabled."

Ok so now lets try to benchmark an 8500 which isn't really doing AA and is changing the level of ansio on the fly as it sees fit. (I wonder what the 8500 uses as criteria for selecting what ansio setting to use... FPS??? )

hmmm.. no wonder they do so well in benchmarks for ansio and FSAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back