TechSpot

Hardrive not giving right capacity

By skarmory2002
Jan 25, 2006
  1. Ok so i have several harddrives that all work, but when i put them into this certain computer, they all read either half of what they reallly are, or only 283 mb. only when i use fdisk is when it comes up as 283 MB. I keep trying to install win98 on these systems, but as to no avail i get this problem all the time. When it comes upafter post and tells you all of your hardware, it says the proper capacitybut after this, I get the previous problems. can anyone help me?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

If the BIOS detects the drive at the right capacity, then the problem is with fdisk. What version is it?

3. skarmory2002

skarmory2002 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 44

i dont know i got it from bootdisk.com

4. Nodsu

Well, which disk image did you download? And what size are your drives?

5. skarmory2002

skarmory2002 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 44

they arnt that big only 2-4 gigs and i used the first mirror image. I just don't understand what its doing wrong, ill make another disk from a win98 install and see what happens.

6. Nodsu

The first DOS bootdisk on www.bootdisk.com is DOS 5.0 and AFAIK that DOS version supports hard drives only up to ~500MB in size. Yes, you should use the Win98 boot disk.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.