Hardware failure in XP, fine in Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buccaneere

I have a Gateway laptop, MX6000. Device drivers won't load for several items, but all the hardware works in Ubuntu 7.10 (dual load machine).

If it's broken hardware, it ain't gonna' work in ANY OS. Right? It seems somehow that Windows is stoppin' the proper drivers from loadin'.

I've tried device uninstall, disable, safe mode, driver update and rollback, reformat original OS, re-format with eXP corp burn, psychic hotline, seance, witch doctor, etc., ...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
buccaneere

EDIT:
Already went to Gateway site, and individual hardware manufacturer's sites too. EVERYTHING.

I could be wrong (and if I am please, correct me), but isn't MX6000 a series of laptops? What is the exact model number of your laptop (take look at the bottom for a sticker).

Zenosincks said:
I could be wrong (and if I am please, correct me), but isn't MX6000 a series of laptops? What is the exact model number of your laptop (take look at the bottom for a sticker).

Yeahman - sure is... (5th word in my OP) - so if you're wrong, I am too!

1st post edited to show more attempted solutions...

What do you see in the Device Manager <Start> -> <Control Panel> -> <System> -> <Hardware> -> <Device Manager>

Look for red or yellow flags next to the devices on the list.

raybay said:
What do you see in the Device Manager <Start> -> <Control Panel> -> <System> -> <Hardware> -> <Device Manager>

Look for red or yellow flags next to the devices on the list.

Yellow flags.

What does that tell me?

i got that for some ram i installed when i dual booted xp and ubuntu.

windows wont even load up with the ram in there but ubuntu could care less

buccaneere said:
I have a Gateway laptop, MX6000. Device drivers won't load for several items, but all the hardware works in Ubuntu 7.10 (dual load machine).

If it's broken hardware, it ain't gonna' work in ANY OS. Right? It seems somehow that Windows is stoppin' the proper drivers from loadin'.

I've tried device uninstall, disable, safe mode, driver update and rollback, reformat original OS, re-format with eXP corp burn, psychic hotline, seance, witch doctor, etc., ...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
buccaneere

EDIT:
Already went to Gateway site, and individual hardware manufacturer's sites too. EVERYTHING.

bumpin' here...

anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back