Hardware Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealsComp

I was approached by a former customer today who asked a question that I need some assistance with, so here goes!

When surfing the internet, with Win XP running IE7, they experience a problem with the computer not advancing to the next page of a website. They see the "Page Cannot Be Displayed". Now if they go back, the former page comes up and they can work with it, but again if they try to advace to the next page it will not display. They further stated that there is no particular website this occurs on, it can happen on on game sites or Ebay, etc. and there is no certain amount of time that passes before it starts. They have other computers in the house that this does not occur on, just this one system. But it should be mentioned that the computer that previously occupied this particular space in the house did exhibit the same problem.

They have changed ethernet cables (using DSL) to the computer and phone cables to the modem, but problem still happens on this system only.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Further information - I asked and was informed that the computer is in close proximity to both a cordless phone and a microwave oven. Is it possibly interference with the 2.4 GHz signal?

Thanks again!

Does it happen consistantly on every exact place/site or do they sometimes get through and other times not?

Memory? How adequate?
All microsoft Windows Updates installed as issued?
Ask the DSL IP Tech to look down the lines, but I suspect all is well. Their tests will determine if the signal is arriving inside the computer as guaranteed... DSL is generally very reliable once installed. The tech can tell you if the problem is in the computer.
I suspect a firewall or security software that has been incorrectly installed, or has been meddled with...
I would shutdown or disable all firewalls and security, then run your tests...
Try downloading Internet Frog, as it is very good, and presents results that DSL techs know and understand.
You can always disconnecd the phone and microwave, but I doubt there is noticeable interferrence.
The only thing weird is that you report it happened with the previous install... which can't be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back