Has my video card gone bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having this problem for about the past 3 or 4 days. When I try to play games like STALKER , Farcry 2 and Metro 2033 ( just got it a week ago and cant finish it :[ ) my PC completely freezes up. Mouse and keyboard becomes unresponsive. And on my screen all these multi-colored dots appear. Like for example where the shadow for a tree is green dots appear inside the shadow, and on the tree itself pink/white dots show up. And as of right now my resolution set lower than 1440x900, not sure what it is set to now. Plus I have green vertical lines running through my screen at the moment.

Video card: 8800 gts alpha dog edition 512mb
RAM 4 gigs
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz
Vista 32-bit

And I just noticed that under device manager on my v-card it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

Edit: uninstalled my v-card rebooted and let Windows install the the drivers, rebooted and the green lines are still there.

Firstly try the troubleshooting wizard. Also try to re-install the drivers by uninstalling them first and re-installing. If this does not fix it then the V-card is damage and is nearly dead.

I did what you said. But when I try to install it again, I get an Error. Says I don't have any compatible hardware for the driver. Soooo, I guess its dead?

Ah hell. There is no way I can replace it any time soon. Adding on to my house in a couple of weeks. On more thing, is it safe to leave it in, so I can at least get on the internet?

Do you have an onboard video? But apart that for internet use yes it may be ok but however I will recommend to disable aero if you are using vista or 7.

Hmmm then you will need to use it and therefore disable aero in case you use Vista or 7. Your welcome mate.

Beat me to it with the baking suggestion. If it is dead anyways, you have nothing to lose. Sound like you are describing artifacts but if you aren't OC'ing then it is dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back