TechSpot

Has my video card gone bad?

By williexstidham
Jul 12, 2010
  1. I have been having this problem for about the past 3 or 4 days. When I try to play games like STALKER , Farcry 2 and Metro 2033 ( just got it a week ago and cant finish it :[ ) my PC completely freezes up. Mouse and keyboard becomes unresponsive. And on my screen all these multi-colored dots appear. Like for example where the shadow for a tree is green dots appear inside the shadow, and on the tree itself pink/white dots show up. And as of right now my resolution set lower than 1440x900, not sure what it is set to now. Plus I have green vertical lines running through my screen at the moment.

Video card: 8800 gts alpha dog edition 512mb
    RAM 4 gigs
    Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz
    Vista 32-bit

And I just noticed that under device manager on my v-card it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

Edit: uninstalled my v-card rebooted and let Windows install the the drivers, rebooted and the green lines are still there.

2. Ultiweap

Ultiweap TS Enthusiast Posts: 606

Firstly try the troubleshooting wizard. Also try to re-install the drivers by uninstalling them first and re-installing. If this does not fix it then the V-card is damage and is nearly dead.

3. williexstidham

williexstidham TS Rookie Topic Starter

I did what you said. But when I try to install it again, I get an Error. Says I don't have any compatible hardware for the driver. Soooo, I guess its dead?

4. Ultiweap

Yes then finally it is faulty or dead.

5. williexstidham

Ah hell. There is no way I can replace it any time soon. Adding on to my house in a couple of weeks. On more thing, is it safe to leave it in, so I can at least get on the internet?

6. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

You'll probably be okay to use the internet.

7. Ultiweap

Do you have an onboard video? But apart that for internet use yes it may be ok but however I will recommend to disable aero if you are using vista or 7.

8. williexstidham

Nope I don't have an onboard v-card. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

9. Ultiweap

Hmmm then you will need to use it and therefore disable aero in case you use Vista or 7. Your welcome mate.

10. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

Ensure that your card is not overheating. Also, what PSU do you have?

11. Ultiweap

That is true overheating can cause those problem why did I forget that.

12. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 729

If your card completely breaks,artifacts are so bad the computer is unusable, and is out of warranty, you might want to give baking it a shot.

13. teklord

teklord TS Guru Posts: 481

Beat me to it with the baking suggestion. If it is dead anyways, you have nothing to lose. Sound like you are describing artifacts but if you aren't OC'ing then it is dying.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.