Haswell (5370K) or wait for Skylake?

Larsenex

So,
All of the naming conventions has me a bit confused. I am looking to build again and wonder if there are enough significant differences in upcoming chips to warrant holding off.

I was going to build using the 5370K 6 core chip. Does anyone here have information that can be said to say, HEY WAIT you want to hold off for (XXXX) chips next year.

Finally, what is the difference between the Haswell, 5370K chips and Broadwelll and Skylake?

Thanks

What is a 5370K? Do you mean a 5930k 6-core 12-thread 2011 v3 40 lane chip?

This type of chip will have much better performance for heavily CPU bound multi-threaded applications. If overclocked you will often get as good and sometimes better gaming performance when coupled with good GPUs but when it comes to content creation these chips will excel. The problem is moving to a 5930 means you'll need a new motherboard (2011 v3), likely some new RAM (DDR4) and possibly a new HSF depending on what you're currently using. You're talking $800-1000 U.S. just to upgrade an existing machine to include this chip. That being said, if I had the extra money available to me right now I'd do it.

You are correct, I ment to say 5930K.

Yea I was expecting a new mother board, and new DDR4 Ram.

Back