TechSpot

Hauppauge 1800 card doesn't look right in PCI Express x16 slot

By cappaj1
Jun 4, 2009
  1. I'm installing a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 card which says it'll work in either PCI Express x1 or x16, into a Asus P6T motherboard.

The video card is blocking the single PCI Express x1 slot, so I installed the tv card in the second x16 slot.

It didn't look right putting this short card into a long x16 slot as it was sort of curved over the unused pins.
    When I booted my pc, my bios was changed to boot from floppy and dates on my system changed. I immediately shut down and pulled the card out after seeing the bios screen.

My question is, should I try and install the tv card in the PCI Express x1 slot and move my video card to a different x16 slot as I have two others? If so, would this require alot of change or would Windows 7 immediately recognize the move and automatically reconfigure?

OR, should I try in the same x16 slot again, and not worry if I'm prompted to setup bios again?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,983   +957

I can't speak to the 1800 tuner, but I have the 1250 and it goes right into the PCI-E x1 slot. I think you have to install the Hauppage drivers before the card, and/or ignore the M$ "found new hardware" wizard. The 1250 is just a single tuner, that the only difference.

The 1250 card is on the same size PC board as the 1800. My board only has one PCI-E x 16 lane, so the the tuner has no other place to go but a PCI-E x 1 slot. It works just fine there. It didn't change the system date.

I don't think it, "doesn't look quite right there, but I had no preconception of how it was supposed to look in the first place.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.