TechSpot

Have a question

By omegafate
Jan 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. well i think i may have done something incredibly stupid

i think....

well i turned off my laptop and left he battery in then started to remove the HD ram and wifi card to blow out the components.

i have a compaq cq60-206us and replaced the 2 gb of ram with 4 a while ago.

any way i stuck the components back in after blowing the dust out and it turned on but no POST and nor did i hear the hd spin up, that and i cant shut it down by the power button and only by unplugging it from either the battery and or adapter.

i have also tried swapping ram around and checking the ram plus doing the same with the old ram but still nothing

i have also turned it on to see if i just get a post with no HD in it to no avail then the same with no ram or hd

i went to school for pc tech but there wasnt a hands on for laptops, so im stuck dead in the water with this.

i have a feeling ive done some thing stupid by leaving the battery in but im unsure.

any help would be appreciated

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

Try removing the RAM and Wi-FI card again and blow out the slots again. Some dirt may have lodged inside and is interfering with the connection. If there is a partial connection, it might be causing the laptop to detect an error and not start. Just a guess though.

3. omegafate

omegafate TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 117

yea still no luck

the hd seems to not have power and the screen isnt even coming up

and when i push the power button it comes on and stays on the only other way is to completely unplug it

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

I wonder if a static electricity discharge was created when you blew out dust from the laptop and maybe damaged something.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.