Have part list please suggest improvements

F

fastzr

Hi all,
I want to build a pc and I don't have a very big budget about $800-$1000 Australian. Now I found a list of parts and I was wondering what everyone here thinks about them...

$850 ($1,200) Best Bang-For-Buck Gaming Config

CPU: AMD AM3 Phenom II X4 955BE $159
Mobo: Asus M4A87TD-USB3 $110
RAM: G.Skill-Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1333 $105
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $69
GPU: Gigabyte 768MB Nvidia Geforce GTX460 $199
Case: Antec 300 $65
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520C $69 (BYO power cord)
ODD: Sony DVD burner $27
CPU HSF: Zalman CNPS10X Performa $45
Peripherals: [ 24" BenQ G2420HD / Sidewinder X4 / Sidewinder X5 / Edifier M1100 2.1 ]*] [*(+$354)

Total: $848 ($1,202)

This is from the site whirlpool
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs

Oh and also I'll be using this fro some medium gaming I'd like it to run gothic 4 but if it doesn't i heard gothic 4 is bad anyway

So thanks for all your help,
Fastzr

Nice choices. However, I would recommend the Radeon HD 6870 as a superior alternative to the GTX 460 at about the same price.

1) get a direct heatpipe cooler > Hyper 212 Plus or similar ( cheaper, better)

2) get a smaller lcd with ips panel > dell ( find a good deal @ cupon)

3) 6870 over 460

4) consider headphones @less periferials, use the extra and buy a 6 core. (migth be usefull in the future) or a i7.

Ok thx I'll definitely go for the 6870 and I'll think about the better processer but that stretches my budget a little as I was planing to use old peripherals until I can buy those ones or cheaper, also what do you mean with ips panels

avoid cheap tn panels, they are garbage. choose a good 22@23 IPS monitor
> UltraSharp U2311H ( i have the 27 version, is great)

Personally I wouldn't use a 1TB HDD as my main drive, but the Spinpoint F3 1TB is arguably one of the if not the fastest traditional 1TB hard drives, and faster than most other hard drives too.

If you go with OEM, you can get a Samsung or LG DVD burner for $20 USD (something like $21ish AUS atm) or less, assuming you can find them.

Likewise, you can probably find another single rail power supply around the same wattage for less money.

Agreed on getting an IPS panel over a cheap TN panels. The only issue is that IPS panels have two regularly occuring flaws: first is that they usually do not come faster than 7-8ms in terms of response time, so for those that play FPS fairly heavily may have ghosting issues (on the same note, most IPS panels are 60hz as well, which can also be a part of the ghosting/haloing equation). Second, they tend to suffer from "dirty looking screens" in darker environments because they usually have a matte screen (which I prefer actually) without a polarizing layer.

IPS is still superior to TN in terms of image reproduction, color accuracy, and viewing angles however.

in that regard every single lcd is bastly inferior to crt. at least ips has good colors and viewing angles also most games are console based software, unless you are a hardcore css player i dont think it maters that much

in that regard every single lcd is bastly inferior to crt. at least ips has good colors and viewing angles also most games are console based software, unless you are a hardcore css player i dont think it maters that much
I won't argue that CRTs in general are superior for color reproduction, and being an analog device helps a lot. Hell, you can still find CRTs in broadcasting/video production and photo-editing/print graphics design. I even have a half dozen 19" CRTs in my basement. You can't help but love the advantages of a smaller profile, and lower energy use that an LCD monitor provides.

As for the last comment... A: I wouldn't limit it to just CSS players, there are MANY more FPS games out there and even other games that require timing and accurate image representation. B: It can matter if it is slow enough for ANY moderate speed movement on the screen. I've seen alleged '8ms' monitors ghost on just my mouse pointer (and I'm not talking about the trail it leaves behind), though I suppose a majority would not be looking for it like me. *rolleyes*

For what its worth, 6-8ms panels are fine for me since I rarely play FPSs and the OP wants to play an RPG. At the same time I don't think very accurate color reproduction (as in for publication purposes) is important either, nor is viewing angle important since 9 times out of 10 the OP will be smack center in front of the screen. Because of that I retract my recommendation for an IPS panel. The best thing to do is go to a computer show and look at all the nice pretty panels to see what they all look like and see which looks good to you, before any extra calibration. The less work the OP has to do in the end while saving money, the better. :)

Back