TechSpot

Have you seen this bug in Windows XP?

By Rick
Mar 2, 2002
  1. Come on.. How many of you have been greeted with the empty Explorer window that spans your desktop? You can't minimze.. you can't close it.. But you love it!

[​IMG]

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

I have

I have gotten that. Can't off the top of my head remember what causes it. But yes fixing it for me usually results in ctrl-alt-del and ending task on explorer.exe.

3. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

:confused: It could be that the window thinks your monitor is at a higher resolution and automatically fits to it.

4. DaveSylvia

DaveSylvia TS Rookie Posts: 127

Just press alt+tab. That always closed it for me.

5. SNGX1275

Well maybe I was incorrect a little bit on saying I've eXPierenced it. I've seen a similar issue where the folder in the taskbar doesn't have a name it just shows up and it can be neither viewed or closed. Right clicking and going to close makes no difference. Clicking to bring it to the front does nothing and you can't get to it by minimizing other things, its there but its not.

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Alt Tab has never worked for this. CTRL + ALT + DEL is the only option, and you have to end task explorer.exe pretty much.

It is a Window that has NO controls whatsoever.. You can't even right click on the taskbar icon and go to close. There is no menu for it. :(

It's quite lame.

7. SNGX1275

Mine has a menu, but it doesn't do anything no matter what you choose.

8. Ceiba

Ceiba TS Rookie

XP Bugs

I've got a better one. How 'bout after you finish installing XP....... the B**CH don't start. How's that for a bug?

9. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

That's the cleanest XP desktop I've ever seen :D

10. DaveSylvia

Sorry, I miss stated. What I meant to say was, "press alt-F4". Of course alt-tabing wouldn't close it. ;)

11. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I'm quite sure you mean "format c:/q", people mix these commmands all the time :p

12. ss1

ss1 TS Rookie Posts: 106

nice Desktop :).

My problem with XP at the momment is that if I leave a USB device plugged into my single USB port in my Laptop then XP will hang on shut down. I got a feeling that it is somthing to do with the fact that the USB port in question is not powered. The odd thing was that Win2K worked perfectly on the same laptop!

Any Suggestions on how to fix this?

ss1.

13. SNGX1275

You can alt-tab to it then alt-F4 but that still does nothing on mine. Just sits there happily, unopened.

14. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

Thats what Micro$oft call a feature - a new Windows eXPerience

:)

15. ldogg

ldogg TS Rookie Posts: 38

Did you install xp over a preveous windows? that usually causes strange things to happen. have you tried going to windows update or their tech support pages? Maybe there's a fix you can download.

16. DaveSylvia

:) I wish it were that simple. I have indeed installed Windows XP cleanly. I've also downloaded the updates from Windows Update. Its just one of those bugs. Besides, Microsoft has far worse things to worry about, i.e. major security holes. This is just a small inconvenience.

17. ldogg

ldogg TS Rookie Posts: 38

Yeah I guess so, switch to Linux :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.