Having a few issues with my computer

merenwen

I already started a thread in the malware forum, and they worked with me through all the steps necessary to make sure my computer is virus-free. However, the issues haven't gone away:

1) Computer is running slowly, particularly when I'm on the internet.

2) When I click on the Start button and then "All Programs" , it appears as if half of them are new programs. They're highlighted in yellow which only happens when I've just installed a new program, yet all of these are very old.

3) When I go to certain websites, like Facebook, I get the following error:
This Connection is Untrusted
You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to www.facebook.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
Normally, when you try to connect securely,
sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?
If you usually connect to
this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.
4) The clock on the bottom right corner seems to have reset itself and is the wrong time/date for some reason.

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Just to rule out an 'easy to fix' Windows OS problem, have you done a chkdsk on your system? Click on the start icon, (1st item in the taskbar), and in the search box, type 'cmd' (enter). In the list that appears, right-click on 'cmd' and choose 'run as administrator'. A new dos box appears. type 'chkdsk /r ' (enter)(There is a space after word 'chkdsk'). Then type 'y' (enter). Close the box down. Restart the pc, and let it do the checking and repairing, bearing in mind it can take an hour or so. Don't stop it or turn off the power. Hope that makes a difference.

Thanks! I actually tried just manually fixing the clock, and it automatically resolved all the other issues. I don't know why I didn't try that before!

Anyway, I also ran the chkdsk thing. Can't hurt. :)

Yes the wrong clock time causes havoc with Windows. Running Chkdsk /r won't hurt, it might even do some good now.

Back