Having a few issues with my computer

By merenwen
Feb 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I already started a thread in the malware forum, and they worked with me through all the steps necessary to make sure my computer is virus-free. However, the issues haven't gone away:

1) Computer is running slowly, particularly when I'm on the internet.

2) When I click on the Start button and then "All Programs" , it appears as if half of them are new programs. They're highlighted in yellow which only happens when I've just installed a new program, yet all of these are very old.

3) When I go to certain websites, like Facebook, I get the following error:
    4) The clock on the bottom right corner seems to have reset itself and is the wrong time/date for some reason.

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it!!
  2. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,022   +51

Just to rule out an 'easy to fix' Windows OS problem, have you done a chkdsk on your system? Click on the start icon, (1st item in the taskbar), and in the search box, type 'cmd' (enter). In the list that appears, right-click on 'cmd' and choose 'run as administrator'. A new dos box appears. type 'chkdsk /r ' (enter)(There is a space after word 'chkdsk'). Then type 'y' (enter). Close the box down. Restart the pc, and let it do the checking and repairing, bearing in mind it can take an hour or so. Don't stop it or turn off the power. Hope that makes a difference.
  3. merenwen

merenwen TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 35

Thanks! I actually tried just manually fixing the clock, and it automatically resolved all the other issues. I don't know why I didn't try that before!

Anyway, I also ran the chkdsk thing. Can't hurt. :)
  4. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,022   +51

Yes the wrong clock time causes havoc with Windows. Running Chkdsk /r won't hurt, it might even do some good now.
  5. merenwen

merenwen TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 35

Thanks so much for your help!