Having a hard time buying RAM online!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackScarlet

I am having difficulties finding the specifications of RAM I want.

I am looking for a gig of pc3200 ddr ram for a total cost (including shipping) of not more than $165CDN. Of course, I'd rather only be paying around $80 before shipping, that sort of range, some of these prices I see are ridiculous...

I understand a limited amount about ram specs, such as the importance of CAS Latency, but not much.
I used cpu-z to find the specs on my existing ram, (report screenshot attached) and I find that my CL is 2.5. Since modules with different CL can be mixed on a system, but the system will only run at the highest (slowest) CL, that means I need to get ram that is 2.5.
This is proving very difficult to find. Almost everything I see is 3, and these sites are retardedly difficult to navigate...

There are certain pieces that look interesting, but don't mention the CL, such as
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...682&CatId=1600
and
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...L TECHNOLOGY
so I don't know what is the CL, and I need to in order to know that it is the right piece for my pc.

Also, from looking at the attached report about my existing ram, does anybody see any of those other specs (RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD), RAS Precharge Delay (tRP), Precharge Delay (tRAS)) that I should also be keeping in mind to match while shopping, besides the CL?

Since hardware is not my strongpoint, this is a very overwhelming and pressuring venture for me, wanting to get the best for my system at the most reasonable prices, when I only have a very lingering grasp of what the best for my system is, lol.
Any help on this would be appreciated.

Here's an Idea for You!

Try going to an independent computer store and see if they have any used RAM that meets your specs.

I had a friend (he's out of business now) that ran an independent computer store. Actually, I got to know him well because I decided to start up my own in-home computer services business recently. We had an arms length business association in which he would recommend my services to customer who asked for in-home servicing and I would direct my customers to his store for computer upgrades or purchases. At one point, I directed my step-father to take his comp to the guy's store to upgrade his memory from 512 MB to 2 GB. I had already checked online and my step-father's comp can only has 2 memory slots and a max of 2 GB support. I noticed that the store owner kept the old 512 MB. Exactly, by law, he is to give it to the customer but in most cases, the customer has no use for it. So it's free used parts to the store owner. I also had an issue where I asked him to order a system fan for my father's comp but he accidentally ordered a faster CPU fan. I knew he was struggling and didn't want to lose money on it so I agreed to buy the part at wholesale from him. I have it in case I encounter a customer with a CPU fan problem. Lots of computer businesses has surplus inventory, usually used.

Perhaps you can call around and see if some store owner has some spare used memory he'll see you for cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back