Having computer building problems

Blkm0nk3y92

Basically Im having problems with my computer, and I dont know where else to turn, so hopefully you guys can help me. Ive been through a lot today with this thing, but basically...

AMD Phenom II x4 CPU
MSI 870S-G46 Mobo
CORSAIR 430W PSU
HD 6670 GPU
HAF 912 Case
CORSAIR 4gb 1 stick RAM
HITACHI 1TB HDD
Optical Drive, LG I think, doesnt matter...

So yeah. Got everything hooked up properly blah blah blah, turned it on, had it hooked up to my monitor through VGA and HDMI and input came through neither, when I turn it on, theres 4 lights on the motherboard that just stay solid, lit up. The little beepy thingy you plug it didnt work, we even took another beepy thingy out of my friends computer and put it in and it didnt do anything... ALL fans power up, optical drive pops open... Uhh, thats it. Kinda ticked right now, caled MSI he told me to pop the little battery thing out and put it back in, that didnt help, tried my RAM in all slots and my friends RAM outta his computer, so the guy from MSI said it was probably the mobo or CPU thats messed up.

Any idea?

I also tried DVI, didnt work...

Main thing im stumped on is the beep, Ive been trying to get that thing to beep forever, it just wont do it. whats up with that?

The beep is telling you something isn't right... could be one memory module is defective, power supply is not connected correctly, video graphics card is bad on installed incorrectly... Often it is a bad motherboard...

How many beeps in each series, before the pause, and then repeated... that can tell you something. Look in the motherboard assembly or instruction book for beep codes.

My favorite advice that often works... put it away. As badly as you want to complete this install tonight, go do something else and take a fresh look at it tomorrow... See what is bad or defective or incorrectly connected... and you day will brighten

Then come back and tell us what the problem was... it will likely be one of those I suggested.

Weird how you can take your beep speakers out, my case had them built in, but I broke the pins to where the speakers connectors were supposed to go during the connection (newbie mistakes)...but my cousin had a problem similar to this with his new build, the problem he had was because he tried to use some components from his dell computer on to his new PC, and they were locked apparently so they couldn't be used on other pc's, he took it to this computer repair dude, and the repair dude brought it back working. (I dont know if its the same as your situation because the parts you listed seem to be bought seperately and not transferred from some other computer.) I think the minimum things needed to run a system are a processor, an hard drive(to store the system), and a motherboard, plus a psu to power it all up. So it is either your motherboard or processor, and I'm leaning toward processor on this one (as the fans connected to the motherboard are still working, though your processor may be locked like my cousins was.

The principal duties of the main BIOS during POST (power on self test) are as follows:

verify CPU registers

verify the integrity of the BIOS code itself

verify some basic components like DMA, timer, interrupt controller

find, size, and verify system main memory

initialize BIOS

discover, initialize, and catalog all system buses and devices

pass control to other specialized BIOSes (if and when required)

provide a user interface for system's configuration

identify, organize, and select which devices are available for booting

construct whatever system environment that is required by the target operating system

If something is wrong during post the system will not boot. Since your not booting up your problem will either be CPU, Memory, Video, Audio, or power (make sure all the cables are connected). Use the process of elimination to find the problem.

Well, verify your card is working by plugging it into your friends computer. Since your motherboard doesn't have an intergrated graphics card this step is crucial to any sort of troubleshooting, but generally motherboard beeps are able to detect video card failure, so I doubt this is it, but still doesn't hurt to try. If your friend's motherboard also has the same socket as your processor, check to see if that's working as well, if he doesn't then I suggest replacing both processor and motherboard, can't take a risk replacing only one when you have a warranty to replace both of them.

I took the 6670 out and tried to boot, same result, I actually told my friend to do that for me while Im gone today(putting it in his computer), so hes gonna do that tonight. But once again, I cant see why the speaker WONT beep AT ALL. It should beep once when it turns on and everything's fine, or beep in a sequence to tell me whats wrong, but it wont beep.

At this point im gonna have Newegg send me a new mobo because I think its that.

I didnt even know it beeped once to tell everythings fine( I broke the speakers connector), I always thought that no beep meant that, but if what you say is true, then go ahead and replace your motherboard, let us know if it works out well.

Is the RAM you used DDR3? Check your manual and make sure you put it in the right slot. PSU calculator on Newegg recommends 379watts minimal for your specs. Can you try a bigger power supply on it? You won't be able to boot without the Video Card installed.

Yes its DDR3. Yes the RAM was inserted correctly.
The PSU is fine, I CAN try my friends 700W but that would be too much trouble, if I have the same problem for the new motherboard their sending Ill try it just to be positive. With this PSU I still have room to upgrade.

Corsair psu's are as good as psu's get, so believe me when I say its not your psu, if the new mobo doesn't fix your problem, then I could only point fingers at the processor (of course there's always the slight chance of another messed up motherboard but those chances are usually slim).

Yeah was thinking the same way about the PSU Great1122. Like I said, I still have room to upgrade too. I think the new motherboard will do the trick. Ill be sure to update this thread when it comes in and all. Thank you everyone.

Back