TechSpot

Having problem with my CPU

By monster625
Jan 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have Gigabyte Ga-m61pmeSp2 Motherboard and amd phenom x3 8650. I know it old. I had this over 2 year. recently, whenever i used it for a awhile my screen would freeze or turn back for a few second then start working fine with a message saying your AMD drive has failed but has recovered. At first i thought it was my video card so i was like whatever i was going upgrade it anyways. Now i realized it was my Mobo or my CPU. My computer computer freeze, ctrl/alt/det won't work i have to reset my computer. When i reset my computer it wont turn on. It power on but completely black screen. So i had to reset cmos now it seem to work fine but i turn it off. Any one know what could be the problem? Im guess CPU overheating? Im going to buy some silver 5 tomorrow and put some on..

2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

There are utilities that will monitor your GPU and CPU temperatures. That utility will probably monitor both of them for you.

I cleaned out my HD5870 today and my temps are much lower now and my video card has quit freezing in games. My card idles 4 degrees lower and is 10-15 degrees lower while playing games.

You may not need to change the thermal paste for your CPU; all you may have to do is clean the heatsink of all the dust that has collected over the years.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.