TechSpot

Having problem with my new hard drive

By ksith
Mar 19, 2009
  1. ok i purchased a new hard drive for my compaq presario cq60 260us laptop. it originally came with a 160 gig hd. i got a 500gb. i formatted and used norton ghost to copy the 160 to the 500. the first time i did it i forgot to copy the master boot record. so i reformatted and recopied with the mbr. now when i put my 500 gig in the laptop it doesnt read. it comes up with the diagnostic screen were i can push f10 to get to bios and what not. then it goes to a black screen with a cursor in the upper left hand corner. so i tried to put my old 160 gig in and it does the same thing. i did a primary hard disk self test on the 500 gig. the quick test passed but the comprehensive failed about 80 percent into the test with a #2- 07 message. what does this mean? Is my hard drive dead?

2. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 563

hey ksith

Can you please give us detail on what operating system you're using (XP, Vista, Linux etc.).

Spyder_1386 :)

3. ksith

ksith TS Rookie Topic Starter

my apologies i am or i was running vista

4. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 563

Did you ghost the operating system as well or just your programs etc. ? Is the drive partitioned - is the operating system on a separate partition to the programs etc?

Spyder_1386 :)

5. ksith

ksith TS Rookie Topic Starter

yes i ghosted the os. the first time i did it i forgot the master boot record. but then when i reformatted and reghosted i included that. and no its all on one partition

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.