Having trouble installing xp on sata drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having alot of trouble trying to get my laptop to accept xp, im not a computer geek by any means but I do know my way around more than just basics. I have done research to find out that I have to download drivers since xp is not supported on a sata drive, I learned to use and downloaded nlite, I researched several sites with info, drivers, links to more sites and has followed them to the T burned about 5 cd’s and still comes up with blue screen setup could not determine type of one or more mass storage devices. I press S to specify additional scsi adapters(im assuming this is right as if I press enter it eventually leads me to the blue screen says problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage and bottom has trouble code of 0x0000007b ) it says setup could not find a floppy drive on your machine to load oem drivers. pres esc to cancel loading oem drivers, f3 to quit setup.
I just want xp on my computer, I have 2 xp disk, both are xp pro however one is corporate with sp2 other is just single user disk. When I go through the integration It says it completed successfully, I dont' have another computer to check it out on.
computer is sony vaio vgn-CS320j, model pcg-3G5L 64 bit, but the windows xp is 32 bit, I have read I can put a 32bit on 64 system but not 64 on a 32 bit system so I should be ok on that. I think I’m not finding the right drivers or I’m simply leaving out a critical piece of information. Anyone that has done this before I am in need of your assistance.
I would need to get the lan drivers as well, i'm assuming this will just come as a package? I would like to learn why I can't get this to work as its bugging me.

Since you don't have a floppy drive to complete the F6 > Press S > etc. installation of SATA drivers, you will have to install the SATA drivers though the use of a slipstream disk. You combine the contents of a Windows XP installation CD with the SATA drivers and make a new CD. Google for the exact procedure. There are several sites that explain how to do it.

You don't need to use nLite. You can just:

1) go into the bios and disable the AHCI / SATA option
2) then install XP with your normal disc
3) then install the sata drivers from the website
4) go back into the bios and change the AHCI option back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back