Having trouble setting resolution on new widescreen monitor

My fullscreen monitor died and I had to buy a new monitor which unfortunately ended up being a widescreen because it's all that's available now. Now I'm having trouble setting the resolution on it. The resolution I've been using on my fullscreen monitor was 1024 x 768, and the way things looked at this res was PERFECT for me. The resolution itself looks OK on the widescreen, apart from all objects appearing stretched since that resolution is really for a fullscreen ratio. So I increased the resolution but no matter which setting I choose everything looks somewhat blurry. This goes for pretty much all the ones available; 1152x864, 1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x800, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1360x768... It's not until I get to the absolute highest resolution, 1440x900, where things appear sharp and also in porportion. Unfortunately, everything on the screen is waaaaay too small. I know I can increase the size of icons, fonts etc. but everything else appears too small too, like images, functions inside software etc.
So I set the resolution back to 1024x768, where everything appears in the size I like them, and I was going to change the screen size (on the monitors OSD settings), shrinking the screen horizontally, which I imagined would give me accurate porportions (I don't mind that I would get two black bars on the sides, if that is what it takes), but when I try the OSD system ironically skips over the size / position settings (go figure...), the highlight just literally just jumps from Brightness down to Color settings (all the ones having to do with screen size and position are greyed out).
So please, can someone help me out? I want:

- Things to appear in their accurate porportions

- Be the same size as they are in 1024x768 resolution. That goes for EVERYTHING not just fonts and icons; for example I want movies to play in that resolution, I want pictures to be displayed that large when I open them, and so on (if the only way to do this on a widescreen monitor is by having black bars on the sides then so be it, just tell me how I can get to those settings since they're not selectable on my new Dell monitor).

Please try to stick to helping me on what my dilemma is, not ask "why do you want to do that?" etc. This is the resolution I am used to and I can't work as efficiently in this horrible 1440x900 setting when everything is so tiny.

I would really appriciate any tips. Thanks for reading.

Hmm; focus on getting the SYSTEM to display correctly first and then fuss with videos last.

My laptop is running at 1366-768 (recommended) for my wide screen display. I would presume your list of resolutions shown do not include 1366-768 (that's dependent upon the video driver + the monitor), so first attempt to get an updated driver for your video adaptor.

What is your video card? Some old cards dont transmit high resolution. I had this issue when uninstalling my old video drivers and installing new ones. My PC was at 1366x768 before the uninstallation, then I uninstalled the driver and it put the max resolution to 1024x720. I installed the new one and it worked out fine. Do you want me to outline how you get the video card model?

, the highlight just literally just jumps from Brightness down to Color settings (all the ones having to do with screen size and position are greyed out).

That might have to do w/ how you're connecting your monitor to the computer. Are you using a DVI/HDMI cable? On my monitor at work, if I remember right, some functions went away after I went from VGA to DVI connection.

Thank you for all your replies! :)
Well I have no idea if the driver I'm using is the latest version, since Dell's website only provides drivers for Windows 7 and 8 (I'm running Vista 64 Ultimate) for my card (NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 620). I tried switching to the VGA cable (I was using the DVI cable), and while this lets me select the setting that it previously skipped, I found out all that setting does is letting me set the position (and not size), so I still can't change the screen to display as a 4:3 screen.
If this problem is not fixable I am forced to run Windows with everything stretched out looking redicilous, because the high resolution is out of the question. :(
Please some more suggestions would be great. If someone's got any further tips you're most welcome to post.

You will find most newer widescreen monitors run the best on their native resolution. More or less you highest resolution will be the monitors native resolution. You will fine running lower resolution . Will give not so good of a picture. Plus this monitor will not preform the same as your old one. Your best bet is to update your video card and adjust the settings for your fonts and Icons.

I've downloaded video drivers for my Dell laptop from Intel's site in the past and it worked. You can try that from nVidia and see if it'll give you the option of doing 1024*768.

Back