TechSpot

Having trouble understanding backup and restore..

By torrenter
Jan 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello guys, I haven't posted in a long time but a computer programmer in the family can't seem to help me.

Basically, after having my PC for 2 years I reinstalled Windows (v7 Home x64), as I had a graphic drivers problem I couldn't solve and the PC was sluggish.

Realising that installing all updates, drivers and restarting a lot was taking so much time, I wanted to create a backup so that I could skip this procedure the next time.

Having made an initial backup on my D: partition, I made another selecting to backup all data on the C: drive. What I now see on the Back up and Restore screen, along with other things, is this:

"Backup Size: 22.77GB."

If I then click on "Manage Space", I get this:

"Space usage summary:

Data File Backup: 1.13GB
    System Image: 21.70GB
    Other Files: 176.08GB
    Free Space: 412.49GB
    Total Size:611.41GB"

Now, 21.70 + 1.13 does not make 22.77, although it's close. But also, if I go to the D: partition and select all the files except the ones from before the backup and then right click, select context menu, then properties, I get the size as 20.6GB.

I also now have a lot of files on this D: partition seeming related to "Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable...." (Text Files and Application Extensions!)

Is this normal? To having numbers not adding up and then finding files which I imagine should on the C: partition? I can't figure out when these C++ files appeared, but it couldn't have been long after the backup. Also, uninstalling the only Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable update did not take these files off my D: partition.

Lastly, if I go to "Restore my Files" and browse for files I get a Backup of C: dated as 7th Jan 21:08 and yet under "Backup" it says the Last Backup was on 7th Jan 21:33. Which backup would I be restoring to? It's not clear at all.

Can any of you explain? Your help would be much appreciated.
  2. torrenter

torrenter TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 203

I guess no one has a clue then.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.