Having trouble understanding backup and restore..

torrenter

Hello guys, I haven't posted in a long time but a computer programmer in the family can't seem to help me.

Basically, after having my PC for 2 years I reinstalled Windows (v7 Home x64), as I had a graphic drivers problem I couldn't solve and the PC was sluggish.

Realising that installing all updates, drivers and restarting a lot was taking so much time, I wanted to create a backup so that I could skip this procedure the next time.

Having made an initial backup on my D: partition, I made another selecting to backup all data on the C: drive. What I now see on the Back up and Restore screen, along with other things, is this:

"Backup Size: 22.77GB."

If I then click on "Manage Space", I get this:

"Space usage summary:

Data File Backup: 1.13GB
System Image: 21.70GB
Other Files: 176.08GB
Free Space: 412.49GB
Total Size:611.41GB"

Now, 21.70 + 1.13 does not make 22.77, although it's close. But also, if I go to the D: partition and select all the files except the ones from before the backup and then right click, select context menu, then properties, I get the size as 20.6GB.

I also now have a lot of files on this D: partition seeming related to "Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable...." (Text Files and Application Extensions!)

Is this normal? To having numbers not adding up and then finding files which I imagine should on the C: partition? I can't figure out when these C++ files appeared, but it couldn't have been long after the backup. Also, uninstalling the only Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable update did not take these files off my D: partition.

Lastly, if I go to "Restore my Files" and browse for files I get a Backup of C: dated as 7th Jan 21:08 and yet under "Backup" it says the Last Backup was on 7th Jan 21:33. Which backup would I be restoring to? It's not clear at all.

Can any of you explain? Your help would be much appreciated.

Back