Having trouble with FPS on a good computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB
2 gig of RAM
Have 13 gig of disk space left

I recently downloaded Resident Evil 5 benchmark version and was appalled that my average was 10 FPS. I see other people on Youtube do this with the same amount of ram, same Graphic Card and I made sure to put my settings the exact same as them, but still got the same result. I look at their results and it says their average is 25+ FPS.
Very impressed, I asked one of them if I should get a better system and he says mine is fine and that mine should be able to play at an average of 30+ FPS. He also said to try running the disk defragmenter to increase FPS. I did it straight away and nothing changed. I deleted some programs to increase disk space (he said too many programs makes your computer saturate) but nothing changed.

I also recently bought Gears of War and was very appalled by the fact the I usually get around 10-35 fps most of the time. You're probably thinking "Wow that's at least playable" but it's not. I'm stuck in this area and the FPS is below 10. I look at other Gears of War players on Youtube with the same graphic card and same ram with max settings (I made sure to turn v-sync off) and their average was 30-60 FPS! And all of them had less than 3.00 GHz, which is my GHz!

Can anyone please suggest a way to increase my computer's FPS? Other than buying another computer? But you can suggest some upgrades though, but nothing too expensive. Also, nothing to do with toning down the settings. Any help would be VERY appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back