TechSpot

Having Trouble with Headset Microphone and Computer Audio

By Polo423
Aug 13, 2009
  1. I use a headset with a built in microphone when playing online games. When playing the game with the sound effects on, whenever I try to talk through the microphone to others they hear amplified loud sounds and tones and can't hear me. But when I turn off the game's sounds (so I'm not hearing anything in my headphones) when I speak people can hear me clearly. This tells me that the sound I'm hearing in my headphones is being relayed, along with my voice, to people when I turn on the microphone.

I've searched about this problem but can't seem to find an answer, so please help...does anyone know where I can make sound card changes (mine is a realtek) or setting changes to where I can listen to the game's sounds and speak on the microphone at the same time, without the game sound input being included in the microphone output?

2. Diligence

Diligence TS Rookie

I am having the exact same issue, and have the same sound card. I haven't tried this yet because of a second issue I am having but read this link (okay it's my first post and I can't post links, so you will have to adjust this):

techspot.com/vb/topic51203.html

So it appears to be a mixing issue? Shouldn't that be changable somewhere aside from the program your using?

My issue is whenever I hit setup in ventrilo, it locks the program. It's a brand new machine, on the last couple versions of vent as well - but on my older machine it did the exact same thing - different sound card. All drivers are up to date, and i tried holding down the bypass key as the VENT FAQ suggests but it has no effect.

3. Diligence

Diligence TS Rookie

Aha!

This was posted on another thread on this page:

Originally Posted by worldcrafter
    i know this is an old thread, but i ran into this problem as well (echoing mic volume) by messing with my own audio settings, and couldn't find a solution online. so I'm gonna post how I fixed my problem. I went into control panel, double clicked Realtek HD Sound Manager, and when the manager screen showed, I clicked on the mixer tab, then on the Record area, I muted Stereo Mix.

See if this helps you, I have to wait until I get home from work to find out.

4. Polo423

Polo423 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah I'll try when I get home too! Also I talked to my headphone company (Panatronic) and they said that plugging the headphones into the back port might help as well. I plug mine in at the front of my tower and they said for some reason with certain sound cards that doesn't work as well.

5. Polo423

Polo423 TS Rookie Topic Starter

So I muted the Stereo in the mixer tab of the realtek manager, and I went into Vent and switched the hardware mixer to "none" and it worked!

6. Diligence

Diligence TS Rookie

That's great news!

I also was able to resolve my application noises coming through even if they were turned down with muting the stereo mix.

Now I just need to figure out why vent freezes on any of my machines while hitting setup. And all 3 are quite different setups as far as hardware...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.