Having wireless connection problems

As of lately my wireless internet has been having some major problems it seems. For quite awhile it has been doing a complete stall every now and then and I'd have to unplug the connection and replug it. Sometimes this fixes the stalling connection and sometimes it just tells me Limited to No connectivity. These problems don't occur often but when it does it can sometime take up to a hour or longer to finally get my connection to start coming back up.

Since probably around christmas my connection seems to have very bad delays on loading up or on World of Warcraft very bad delayed actions. I'd have to unplug from the wall and plug back in just to maybe get 20 minutes of good connection untill it starts slowing down majorly again. The problem usually starts around 11pm up to 4:00am or 6:00 am, so I don't see how traffic could really be a issue.

I don't use a router, I connect directly into the modem as I was told it is less complicated that way. I also run WIndows XP and my ISP is a local company. I live in a rural area and probably all my neighbors use the same company. I have no checked with my neighbors to see if they are having the same issues but this problem is starting to drive me insane. The techs for the company are a bunch of dimwits and have no clue what is going on. I would appreciate any help.

Edit: I forgot to mention my neighbors and I have had this service for nearly 4 years or so and I have never came across this type of problem before with them which makes things even more confusing for me. I have updated the drivers, every appliance I have in the house has been here for just as long as the service. To be honest the only thing that has changed is the way this connection has been acting lately.

I have also checked for viruses and anything else that could be of a problem. Right now I feel against a wall on this problem.

I live in a rural area and probably all my neighbors use the same company.
hmm; Is this a satellite connection?

Please get some info for us
  • make and model of your modem
  • use: http://checkip.dyndns.org/ and report the ip-address
  • get a command prompt and enter ipconfig /all
    and report the ip-address & gateway address

have you attempted using a wired connection?

I don't use a router, I connect directly into the modem as I was told it is less complicated that way.
maybe, but the router also adds more security. After you get this issue solved, revisit that decision

I used to use a router but started having more problems trying to connect up. I guess I would be using a wired connection. To be honest I don't know a whole lot on wireless tech. I've been on a 56k connection for the longest. Only thing I can tell ya is I got a little satellite looking deal outside on my roof that's supposed to be receiving the signal, the only way I can tell if this is wireless or not is the company that provides the service has told me I am using a wireless connection. I use a motorola box that connects in the wall and the other part connects directly into the back of my computer. I use a desktop computer.

TRENDnet, TEG-PCITXR 32-bit and made by TRENDware would be my network adapter. The rest of the stuff I will work on getting. I appreciate the response as I haven't received any response from my actual ISP and usually when I do get a response it's more like "deal with it" type of response.

I have been running speedtest lately and my download speed has been running pretty good but my ping has been at a insane 1000 or 3000 for most of the time. Is there any solution to lowering the ping?

motorola box that connects in the wall and the other part connects directly into the back of my computer
What's the make/model of the motorola box?

Your description fits a satellite connection.

sorry for late response. I have a radio antenna on the top of my house. As for motorola box, I am not sure though it's the only one the wireless company will provide. I have talked with them lately and they have told me it's my location yet I don't understand how I can not have problems in the day time hours but yet on the weekends at night my problems become more apparent. From what I have been told there is not many people on the tower my signal goes to and from what my neighbors have told me they do not have a police scanner or do anything at night with their internet. So it leaves me wondering what else the problem could be.

hmm; I'm sure you are on a satellite link.

Most of us have a setup like
isp====modem===(router)== . . . == systems​
the == are wired connections while the ... implies a possible wifi connection.

With a satellite link, you are more like
isp .[a].. satellite ... your antenna ===modem===(router)== . . . ==
which places at least two radio links [a]+ in your path assuming you wired the system to the router.

Radio stuff is touchy (btw: I did sortwave radio in high school) and there are many reasons why it works one day and not the next, or works daytime but not at night. I suspect you are in a rual setting. Are there ANY tall buildings in the path the antenna is pointed (would guess not); trees? Can you disclose your location (city/state). Weather can also be a factor. You could also have a high utilization factor in your neighborhood (ie: lots of users) which creates 'contention for access', especially when everyone comes home from work or the weekends.

Here's a WiKi on Satellite Internet for background.

UserReviews said:
... uses starband and it's full duplex satellite communication, No dial-up needed and he says it screams. A good option for those of us out in the stix where DSL isn't an option.

I know Verizon has satellite access for laptops;
With the USB aircard you can connect it into your laptop or dekstop computer but the PCMCIA card and Express cards generally gets better reception for some reason. USB keyfob

AT&T + Sprint

back

my connection is just from radio antenna, from wire, to modem. My ISP company is a local company called Rhino Communication. I do live in a rural area though but I have no trees around my house or really even a good distance, no tall building as well. I live in Mead, Oklahoma if this helps any. I have been having hell lately it seems almost every day now trying to keep a good connection. Tonight I could maybe connect up for 5 min and it'd just drop as if I had no connection at all.

The thing I don't get about my connection is I have had it for nearly 4 years and it's never had problems this bad up till now and now that I am having these problems my ISP won't even bother to help fix it or really help answer questions. This leaves me in bad place as the only other type of connection that I can consider is satellite but from what I hear it's horrible for gaming and that's basically all I do on my computer. Another thing what I really don't understand is how I could be having this problem at 4:00 am. Chances are around where I live there is hardly anyone up at that time and what people are up seems it shouldn't effect things much.

RhinoCom said:
Most people confuse Wireless Broadband with Satellite internet service thinking they are they same thing, when in fact they are completely different. We use a microwave point to multipoint system that uses short range links. The latency (ping times) will be comparible to DSL and Cable Modem. Satellite service has a very high latency because of the distance between the two satellites. With such a high latency you will NOT be able to Game, run VPN's, or use Voice Over IP. In most cases Satellite should be your last choice for Internet service!
Well, I'm afraid you're just in for it :sad: If gaming is your primary internet usage AND your current service is unreliable, your stuck.

I don't understand the problem as microwave has been used for decades, so if they can't get it stable, then they need some equipment maintenace or better staff. Sorry we couldn't resolve this.

Have the ISP give you Wi-Fi Router with Modem depends on what you have there. Some have the digital phone connected to them also. Best to do it like this since that's how their system is.Time to make the change and get your Wi-Fi up and working. Don't compare what others have you need and environment is different.

Back