TechSpot

HD 7970m Enduro fixed?

By Sparton 10
Nov 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I'm looking at buying a new Metabox(Clevo) P150EM laptop however I'm unsure if I should go with a GTX 675MX or a HD 7970m as they are roughly the same price.
    Normally I would choose the HD 7970m however after some research I've discovered that the clevo laptops suffer from a severe performance issue due to Enduro. I am aware of the new drivers available however the most recent information I can find is from the beginning of November and it doesn't say if the issue has been resolved. I've considered the 680m but its a bit out of my price range.
    I'm only concerned that the Enduro issue is always going to be a problem and I don't want to spend months waiting for a new driver after every new release,
    My question is does anyone know if the Enduro issue has been resolved yet or would it be a better option to go with the 675mx?
    Also I haven't been able to find much info regarding the 675mx despite it being available to order.
  2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,836   +667

Things seem to be getting slowly better, but still seems to be a work in progress. Check this thread out at Rage3D.
    As for the GTX675MX, it is a custom GPU based on the GK104 (Kepler) processor -closest desktop equivalent would be a downclocked GTX 660 Ti. According to this article you're looking at around a 15% performance increase over the 675M (which is a Fermi -GF114 GPU, and identical to a downclocked GTX 560 Ti). Haven't seen any 675MX reviews yet, but you could probably get a ballpark figure by comparing to the 675M numbers in a laptop review. Power consumption would be lower for the MX, but I wouldn't hazard a guess by how much. Bit of an inexact science I'm afraid but the MX is a pretty recent addition by Nvidia.
  3. Sparton 10

Sparton 10 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 47

Thanks very much for the help, I think I'll be best going with the 675mx, although it doesn't perform as well as the 7970m, personally I feel as though that's an acceptable sacrifice to ensure it will work without issue.
  4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,836   +667

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.