HD-DVD media on a Blu-Ray Disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

Hey, I have a HD-DVD drive for my computer (it's actually the Xbox 360 drive but it works with Vista perfectly through USB). I do not support Blu-Ray, but I have a question that might help change my mind. I want to back up some of my HD-DVD discs, in case something happens to them. I got a suggestion from a friend at work, he asked why I don't just burn the HD-DVD media to a Blu-Ray Disc? Now at first I thought it might be possible, but the more I thought about it, Blu-Ray disc players aren't made to read HD-DVD files. I'm even more convinced by the fact that before I'd installed the HD-DVD drivers for my drive under Windows XP, it coulnd't read the HD-DVD files at all, even though it was an HD-DVD drive. However, if there is a chance that I could back up these discs, it might be worth looking into a burner, even though the discs themselves are like, $1/gig.

So would this be possible? To back up the HD-DVD media (I currently have 2 of the discs on my computer in ISO format, 300 and Transformers, they take up 52 gigs together), onto a Blu-Ray disc and have it still work?

Thanks in advance.

Seriously, I'm not gonna spend $200 to try this and find it won't work. I need some professional opinions, just a simple yes or no, that's it. Please.

Yep, you can do it. Its not friendly, and likely not legal. I too am in the same boat as you, I own a real HD-DVD player, and a few HD-DVDs. The MPAA screwed me by dropping HD-DVD (as well as screwing everyone by going single format when hd-dvd was cheaper). But we lost, even though it was wrong we lost. So now, instead of putting money towards converting my stuff to bluray I'm just holding on to what I have. My media still works, why change?

IMO, Download the HD stuff, copyright free before the ISPs start capping our downloads. I have 0 moral problems with 'illegally' downloading a movie that I own on HD-DVD just so I can watch it if my hd-dvd player dies.

There is going to be a clash in the future, and it will be with the MPAA and the ISPs on how to deal with bandwidth.

I agree with you, piracy is the future, no matter what any group or entity tries to do to stop it. I, too, have no problem downloading movies if I own them, it's mine after all, all this crap about a copy of a dvd you own still being illegal is totally wrong, I own it, it's mine, I can do what I want. I just want to see if what I wanted to do was possible. Still though, I'd need a dual layer BR disc burner and dual layer discs, the movies I want to back up are more than 25 gigs each. Anyways, thanks for the reply. I'll still wait to buy, though, in case there is an issue with it, I'm sure someone else will reply, hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back