HD loses format when swtiching HD enclosures

By biisama
Mar 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. HD loses format when swtiching HD Enclosures

I've formatted a 3TB Toshiba (DT01ACA300) Internal HD with GPT on a Windows 7 machine. I am using the drive as external storage.

When the drive is in Enclosure A, 3tb is recognized. When the drive is removed from Enclosure A and put in Enclosure B, it shows up as RAW. When I put the same drive back in Enclosure A, 3tb is recognized.

So, I formatted the same drive as GPT on Enlcosure B. When the drive is in Enslosure B, 3tb is recognized. When the drive is removed from B and placed into A, the drive shows up as RAW. When I put the same drive back in B, 3tb is recognized.

So, that rules out the HD enclosures (Rosewill RX358 U3C- they work fine with other 2tb HDs formatted as MBR and are listed as supporting 3tb drives). Do you think the problem is with the Toshiba brand? (I have 2 Toshiba 3tb HDs that I've tried. Both have same problem) Or, is it the fact that the drives are 3tb?

I do not feel comfortable knowing that my 3tb internal drive will lose its formatting if I put it in a new enclosure.
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,415   +281

Don't know the answer but, what happens if you format as GPT connected internally, and then put the drive in the enclosures?
  3. biisama

biisama Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Good suggestion. Unfortunately, I do not have a desktop and the drives are 3.5".

Oh Well.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.