HDD and optical drive cable question

Ok, so I'm buying a DVD/CD burner and HDD, both OEM, and I'm wondering whether I need to buy additional cables to hook them up to my motherboard. My PSU comes with 6 SATA cables, but are these only used to provide power to the HDD and DVD/CD burner? Do I also need additional SATA cables to connect the drives to my motherboard? Any information is appreciated.

You should check with the supplier to see if the new hardware will be supplied with a SATA cable which you will need to connect them to the motherboard.

Sata cables are for data transfer not for power. You should have spare cables coming from the PSU for the power connections or you will have to get a couple of 'Y' splitters to provide the connections.

You'll probably get just the drives, no cables, and no mounting hardware. When I purchased drives that were labled OEM from Newagg, only the drives came.

Ok, so my power supply comes with 4 SATA cables, but those aren't for data, right? so if my motherboard doesn't come with sata cables then I will have to purchase them separately?

Correct, those from the power supply will only power the drives. You will need separate cables to connect the drives to the board for data.

Couple things to note when you buy the cables:
1) they come in various lengths
2) some have right angle connection on one end, depends on how you route the cable, the location of your drive, it might work better than a straight one

Back