HDD cloning

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEALTH429

Hello everyone.

I have 3 HDD installed to my desktop, SATA-1 no, IDE-2 nos.@80gb each.

At present my XP OS is installed to one IDE (master) and the rest as slave. I want to "copy" or clone my master HDD to the SATA drive and designate it as the master HDD.

Is it possible to do cloning like this? any programs that i can use to execute the cloning process...?

I do appreciate any help or assistance you could extend..

thanks and best regards.

Sort of. Sure you can clone it, but if you aren't emulating IDE with SATA I think you might end up with some problems with Windows. Hopefully I can track someone down to show up in this thread and clairify. But I believe it has something to do AHCI.

Also, you don't designate SATA as Master over IDE, you set it higher in the boot priority in the BIOS. IDE has Master/Slave, SATA does not.

You won't be able to just clone the disk and be able to boot off it. XP does not boot from a drive letter, but rather from a physical location given to it by the BIOS and stored in the registry. If they mismatch, you will get a bluescreen. If your BIOS supports IDE emulation over SATA, you *might* get away with it, but I doubt it.

However, you CAN clone the install, then do a repair install on the new disk, and have it work properly. You will need software that does true cloning, such as Ghost. Just copying data won't accomplish anything.

Acronis Truimage, Norton Ghost and other products can accomplish this for you.

I don't understand how this is an issue..?

Here's how I understand the question... He has XP installed on an IDE drive. He wants to add a SATA drive, clone his XP install and make his new SATA drive bootable. Yes?

As long as your SATA controller is installed in your current install of Windows (Check your device manager) and you use a program like True Image, you'll be fine. I've probably done this over a dozen times with Acronis True Image, including my own rig. You'll be fine. :)

thank you all...ill run to the computer shop tomorrow and acquire "Acronis True Image", one more thing though Rick, I'll have to quick format first the SATA and install the Acronis to my original OS drive and execute it from there right?

what will be the bios set up for IDE configuration considering the fact that i am assigning a SATA over the IDE that are presently installed. will there be any conflict in this regard?

As of SNGX275 comment:
Also, you don't designate SATA as Master over IDE, you set it higher in the boot priority in the BIOS. IDE has Master/Slave, SATA does not

I can designate the SATA as master over the IDE right? pls reply Rick.

Yes, you just have the SATA drive above the IDE one in the boot list or boot priority in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back