HDD not being detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

king21092

Ok, I'm to excited to think since I just got my latest piece to my computer, but anyway my PC isn't recognizing the hard drive, its not found. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get to to recognize the drive.

Any help, much appreciated!!!

-King

NOTE: Specs are in system specs and sig.

Is this the main drive that you are trying to install Windows on?
If so, you may need to download the Dos Sata Drivers from your Motherboard's (or computer manufacture's) support driver page

Is this an extra HardDrive (ie Slave) that you are setting up in your computer?
If so you may need to inialize the Drive by going to Disk Management in Control Panel (under Administrative tools)

Probably more info required

My mobo has all drivers and BIOS updates.

Kim, I dont think you read my post last night.
My 80GB HDD that I originally had windows on, went corrupt again,so I've declared it DEAD, it still runs, but always corrupts things.
Now that that's said I can't get my 400GB to be detected, all the cables are plugged in and it should be running fine.
So in the end I cant load windows b/c its corrupt and I can't detect the drive to install windows on.

Kim, I dont think you read my post last night
No I didn't. Damn!,
You might want to provide a link to that TechSpot post

Anyway,
Is this the main drive that you are trying to install Windows on?
If so, you may need to download the Dos Sata Drivers from your Motherboard's (or computer manufacture's) support driver page

Have you pressed F6 during setup and installed any required drivers?

Is Bios reset to defaults?
Is the drive being detected in Bios?
Is Sata enabled in Bios?

Yes, its the only drive plugged up, so it should be the master.
Note: There's neither jumpers on the back to make it the master/slave, nor anything in my BIOS to make it the main drive. I'll keep looking and tell you if I find a section where I can set it as the master, but for now, I'm still taking suggestions.

No, I haven't reset BIOs yet.
No, it's not being detected in BIOS, that I can see.
Yes, SATA is enabled.

Here is the thread where I mentioned that.

ok

So read my last post again

And Sata does not have those jumpers to make it Master/Slave

I just want to know if Bios actually sees it ? (firstly)
Then, the other things I mentioned too

You can even quote my post, and say done that it says this, done that it says this (or something like that)

Oh, I'll check that link while you're going through that.

This is in response to my last post, I enabled AHCI and now I'm trying to see if its detected at all. Still I can't see in my BIOS wher it lists HDD.
There is a section that says "Standard CMOS features" in that section it lists IDE channel master thats listed as 0-4 with a slave 4.
I've yet to find ANYTHING dealing with SATA, besides that setting I changed.

hmm, some keywords

sata
pata

Actually are you scrolling all the way down in cmos (bios) sometimes the page is bigger than you think

I've used every available key on the keyboard, including the keypad, WITH num lock on. Also I've used ever option at the bottom, where it tells you what the keys do.

For precaution, I'm going to switch sata cables.

Can you please email Gigabyte support and ask where Sata enable is
It might just be enabled by default (ie both Sata Pata)

Actually maybe the manual, yes that would do

KIM!!! I figured out what was wrong.
I have a 850W PSU that has GOBS of cable that I don't need, it was prob meant for a server with like 8 HDD+. Anyway I have the unused ones tied up in a ball to maximize airflow. Well apparently all that wire when set up straight was putting weight on the cord, cause the power cord to be pulled out slightly.
I moved the wires around.
AND
It's being detected now!

It's being detected now!
Arrrgh I didn't say check cables ?? I'll have to read the thread again (another stupid mistake by me!) Any other support members reading, do not quote that !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back