HDD not recognized on two computers; will not boot

I recently purchased a new laptop. I was working on my old one last night, and it started running very slowly. This machine was about 1 1/2 years old, with a 600+ internal HDD only a few months old. It had been working fine up until last night.

The machine was running slowly, so I turned it off and turned it back on. It wasn't starting up, and Startup Repair launched. It identified the problem as Corrupt Registry. I did a memory check, then the computer restarted. However, the screen after the initial boot screen was just some text, saying there was no bootable disk detected.

I took out the hdd and reinserted it; it still said there was no detected bootable disk.

For reason I won't go into here, I no longer have the older laptop, but I do still have the hdd.

My new laptop works beautifully. I swapped the hdds out to see if the old one would work in this new one. It doesn't. When I start the machine, it gets to that initial boot screen with the brand splash logo (TOSHIBA, in this case). However, it never gets past this screen. It won't let me boot into BIOS, and I can't get to the safe mode (F8) or boot (F12) screen.

Any button I push causes the machine to produce a beeping sound. If I tap a button, it's a short beep. If I hold the button, the beep persists, and continues for a little while after I release the button (and it lasts longer the longer I hold the button down).

So, good fun, I can't even get into BIOS with this hdd.

I also have some irreplaceable photos on this drive. Story of my life (and this is the second time this has happened), I deleted my backed up photos because I was planning on putting my updated photo folders onto a different external. Stupidly, I did it the other way around- I deleted the old files before saving the new ones, and now I can't access them. I used a recovery tool on the old external back-up, but I was only able to save maybe half of the photos. I still need the other half. I have wedding and honeymoon photos, and other important photos.

I do have a few boot discs I want to try, but I can't figure out how to change the boot order so that CDs boot first. Of course, I also don't know if this will solve the problem, since the laptop isn't detecting the hdd.

Since it hasn't worked on two laptops now, I can only surmise that the hdd itself is what is faulty, and not the laptops.

Thanks for any help you give.

Back