HDD problem - "disk boot error"

Having a problem with getting my second HDD to work with my pc.

My operating system is XP SP3, BIOS is Award Modular v6.00PC, motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2, rev 6.6.

I installed a SATA II second HDD in my machine a while ago, I plugged it straight in a spare slot and it worked perfectly. Then the other day it failed, It came up with "disk boot error" when I booted the machine the other day. It was making a steady clicking sound, and I was informed that it was broken.

So I disconnected it and the pc worked fine, so I bought a new HDD and installed it in the exact same SATA port as the previous one had been, but it still came up with "disc boot error" when I tried to boot. Now, there are a total of 4 SATA II ports on my pc, one already in use for the main disc, and the one which I had first installed my 2nd HDD. I tried the new 2nd HDD in one of the other two ports, and windows booted fine. only problem was that windows didn't recognize the drive in my computer. It appeared in device manager though, but I didn't look in disk management at that point, I turned off the machine and tried it in the other SATA port that I hadn't tried yet. Still no luck, now it wasn't even appearing in device manager.

Then I tried using the old HDD that had borked, I had tapped the side to free the head, and installed it in its old port in the pc. and it still came up with "disc boot error", though without the clicking noise this time.

So thats the situation at the moment - out of the 4 SATA ports, one is being used for the boot HDD, which I haven't touched, and with the 2nd HDD, one port will only come up with "disc boot error", and the other two don't seem to work at all.

I hope it all makes reasonable sense, I really need some help as to what the problem might be and how to solve it. Thanks for any advice.

Did you use the same SATA cable or did you change the cable as well? Second, does the BIOS show your drives at all other than your main one?

Yes, I used the same SATA cable as I did with the first drive, its a cable where the SATA power connection and the data connection are combined. Would using a different cable make a difference?

As regards BIOS, its currently password protected and I can't find out the password to access it yet. I've ordered a disc that will hopefully either find it out or remove it, so that I can access it and find out if any of the settings in there are causing the problem.

Many times we have seen SATA cables be the cause of HD issues. Try a different cable and let us know the results.

It was indeed the cable. I tried a brand new one, with excellent results. The new drive is working perfectly, no problems.

Thanks for the advice.

Back