HDD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

I will be upgading my system here this weekend.
Plan to change out the motherboard, cpu cpu fan,video card and add some card readers.
The mother board I am using has only one IDE connector and 8 SATA connectors. I do not want to discard the two IDE HDDs Master and Slave for my own reasons, however I am open to buying a SATA HDD for gaming purposes to take advantage of the higher transfer rates with a SATA HDD.
Would the following configuration work?

1 Buy an IDE PCI controller card and connect that to the DVD and CD drives.
2. Connect the old IDE HDD (Now Master and Slave) to the one IDE connection on the motherboard
Now
3. Buy a SATA HDD and connect that to one of the SATA connections on the motherboard. Put all games on the SATA drive.

Will this give me the faster transfer rate I am looking for in gaming? I understand there are other ways seeming easier to get to this goal, but but I do not know how to clone or do I know how to set up a dual boot system like it is now.
thanks

SATA vs IDE transfer rates don't mean anything. The specs of the specific hard drives matter. But since SATA drives are generally newer, they are generally faster than IDE drives.

I would put the optical drives on the motherboard IDE controller because many PCI IDE cards have issues with ATAPI devices.

What you are proposing isn't widely done, and many on this list do not like to comment on setups they have not seen working.
I suspect what you propose will work fine, but it is going to complicate things somewhat. I would want to be sure my power supply can handle the load, so 300 watts would be a minimum, and 400 would be desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back