TechSpot

HDD SATA on motherboard ASUS P4P800S-X

By Venomus
Feb 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi to all, im new on this forum and i was hopping you can help me.
    I have a ASUS P4P800X-S Motherboard on my pc i know that is a lil bit old but it still works great. Im using 2 hdd IDE on it and I was thinking to install a hdd SATA .
    Is that possible ????
    Thanks to all of you.

2. brucethetech

brucethetech TS Enthusiast Posts: 229

Yes but it is pointless. You dont get the benefit of a sata confuration b/c (unless your board had sata ports) you'll buy a converter to take ide connection to a sata connection but you're limited to the speed and features of IDE since that is the connection on the board.

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,925   +347

It appears to me that your motherboard has two SATA ports so you can install a SATA hard drive if you want. Make sure you have the motherboard's SATA controller driver installed.

4. Venomus

Venomus TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks ! Yes i have seen those ports on my motherboard that how i get the idea lol.
    And the benefits are that i can have much more space on a hdd SATA so i can remove one from my 2 hdd IDE that i have already installed.
    @ mailpup, how can i detect if those drivers are installed ?
    Thanks.

5. mailpup

Check the Device Manager for any devices that have a yellow symbol next to it. That would indicate a driver problem. To be sure you could always install the latest driver anyway.

6. Venomus

ah you mean after that i had installed the hdd SATA ?
    any extra cable that i should buy to make the installation ( motherboard with hdd SATA ? Thanks mailpup
    :eek:
    oh extra question this morning when i turned on the pc i had to restore the time & date ? do you think that that the motherboard battery is gone ?

7. mailpup

You can install the SATA drivers before if you wish.

I'm not sure what you mean by extra cable. You need a SATA 3GB/sec. compatible cable.

Yes, the first thing I would do is change the CMOS battery.

8. Venomus

Thanks a lot your great :)

9. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 462

I had a number similar mobos (P5P800 and P5P800se.) I never had a problem with the SATA ports. XP recognizes them. You may want to update the drivers but it should just work. Newer OS'es should be fine too.
    (edit-I was wrong. I thought it was 865 but it's 848.)
    Here is the (correct) driver page,
    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009237.htm

10. Venomus

Thanks Mirob
    :)