TechSpot

HDD shows up in BIOS but not Windows

By Ejem0724
Apr 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I have read many posts attempting to solve my own issue all the while failing. Some proper assitance will be needed so I needed to create my own post.

I have a Seagate 1.5TB HDD I have been using for a couple years. My girlfriend is a photographer and she filled up the drive. Prior to being able to afford a new one she crashed windows and it would no longer start up.

Bought a new drive, thought my task would be simple. however, upon booting windows 7 to my new drive the old drive had not shown up. I checked the bios and it is visible there. The Data on that drive is irreplaceble. So by attempting to solve my own issue here is what I have tried.

-Checking bios for other drive boot options
    -switching the cables on the drive multiple times
    -using a different computer
    -checking disk management
    -using seagate drive tools
    -using windows boot disk
    -using Memory Diagnostic Tools

only other method I have read but havent tried is using an external casing in an attempt to get it to apper, however I have my doubts on whether that would work. (If I am wrong please correct me)

So to be Clear
    -HDD with essential data on it. (Seagate 1.5TB)
    -Shows up in Bios
    -Does not show up in Window 7, Disk management, or in Seatools. Also will not appear for a Windows install disk.

I appreciate The Help!!!!

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +337

Is the 1.5 TB drive the one that had Windows installed to it? If so, it is pretty likely you are screwed.. I mean, there are some options you have, but none have a real high success rate on a drive that has failed.

Check out the tools on Hirens boot CD. Boot from that, and have a go with a few of those tools, that is your best chance now outside of professional recovery. Professional recovery costs will strongly test how "irreplaceable" those pictures are.

3. mlmassie

mlmassie TS Rookie Posts: 19

This probably is farfetched but could switching the jumper to slave work?

4. mlmassie

mlmassie TS Rookie Posts: 19

Never mind

5. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

A good time to start thinking about future backup solutions too!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.