HDD trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

TQW

Hi guys, I have a problem with my hdd.
Yesterday, my PC fell off my desk and completely blacked out. All the cords stayed inside, but it was completely unresponsive when I tried to turn it on. No failure, no response. As if I wasn't pressing the power switch.
I transfered the hdd to another pc and it didn't work at first, but then I slaved it(Yeah, it's an oldie), and managed to boot this other pc from its original hdd(which was a master), and it recognized my old hdd, and after a dskchk /f I got all my files back, but I couldn't copy them to a safer external hd, because of a cyclic redundancy check error, and I still can't boot it.
I'm currently doing a dskchk /r and it's taking a while. I also replaced a power supply on the original pc and it seems to be working. What are your thoughts on this, how to fix or bypass the crc, how to boot my original hd, etc.

HI - sorry you had to wait for a reply.
Your drive is dead and even if you can extract files from it you should never use it again as it will be unreliable.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - hope you had a backup.

Drive is dead. Pull important files off in their order of importance, and in small groups, maybe you can isolate a few that are causing the CRCs and get everything else back.

The CRCs are caused by a physically damaged portion of the disk, you are never getting that data back unless you pay hundreds of dollars (or thousands) to a professional recovery service.

And of course you can't boot from that drive. You generally can't just put the OS drive from 1 computer into another computer and boot up the system from the drive you just put in, I don't know why most people blindly believe you can do that. Windows configures itself for a specific set of hardware, venture outside of that much and it doesn't work.

Also, its poor form to bump your own thread an hour after you post. Wait at least a day.

drive has experienced a head crash. You'll be lucky to get anything off of it. Try a USB adapter and plug it into another computer to attempt to retrieve data.

Replace the drive.

Your other equipment may be jostled. reseat the cards and risers. ensure you GROUND yourself and turn off ALL power.

Sorry for bumping, I was just worried.
Well, I managed to recover most of my files through chkdsk /r, only a couple still show crc, however I've got several problems. A big portion of the files I need yet to recover (e.g. My Documents) are protected, since I was a password protected user on my original PC. For now, these files only show "... is not accessible. Access is denied." Since I know the password, is there a way to access these folders?
I can, however access the Windows folder, so I was wondering if I can alter a file in there in order for the bsod to stay on the screen long enough to be readable instead of just flashing for a split second.
My original PC appears to be working, but I haven't yet tried booting the original HD again(I want to copy the important files to a USBHD first).

A big portion of the files I need yet to recover (e.g. My Documents) are protected, since I was a password protected user on my original PC. For now, these files only show "... is not accessible. Access is denied." Since I know the password, is there a way to access these folders?
Yes. Take Ownership.
I can, however access the Windows folder, so I was wondering if I can alter a file in there in order for the bsod to stay on the screen long enough to be readable instead of just flashing for a split second.
Yes. This is for Vista, but I think its located in the same place for XP.

Hay guys, thanks for everything, I managed to get the hd to work again, but will replace it soon.

P.S. I'm kinda confused by the last link, I was asking about changing settings from the Windows folder, whereas this article just explains how to do it from within the account, by using My Computer, which was, in my case, off limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back