HDD working too slow?

Mister_K

I am quite fed up from my semi new HDD working quite slow. I have bought it early 2011 for around £45 inc everything. THe make is

Hitachy HDS721010CLA332 7.2k RPM 32Mb Cache

During HD TUNE PRO Benchmark I get 8.6MB/s read on maximum and 0.7MB/s on minimum. That said this HDD is my main boot disk.

When I test my Samsung F3 (backup drive, i know i did it the wrong way around... should of been my main..) I get around 141.5MB/s read and 107.9MB/s minimum which is hell of a lot faster!

Any thoughts? I can't test the write speed with HD TUNE PRO since it requires clean partition or something ...

Could this be due to my FSB being 230 (so HT is 2300) from default 200? I doubt it though.

Check out device manager and the drive's properties through that. It should be Ultra DMA or something, it sounds like yours could be in PIO mode. I'd check the specifics, but I'm not near a Windows machine right now.

Aight thanks will check now.

Also with this MOBO i keep getting bad news! Each time. I forgot that my mobo (asus m4n78se) is only SATA II .... and yeh only DDR2 ram *cries him self to sleep*

Edit:

Aight the Primary IDE Channel is set to DMA if Available in both collums (the device 0 and 1). In the Current Transfer Mode it says (Not Applicable).

In the Secondary IDE Channel it says the same but in the Current Transfer Mode it says Ultra DMA Mode 6.

PS:

Looking at some topics about the DMA/PIO heh ... I guess it shuold say Ultra something rather then Not Applicable =/

Will be installing Windows 7 either tonight or sometime tmoz ... Gotta start collecting funds for my new rig .... Want to go Intel but no Intel Board apart from some old crap testing one that i have ....

Update:

This is now resolved. Installed Windows7Pro since I got to get ready for BF3 (bye XP, RIP) and when copying files on my main HDD its around 40MB/s, thought it would be faster though ...

My other HDD is around 55-60MB/s with 135 Burst ... which lasts like 5 seconds lol

Already updated to latest BIOS to support my CPU.

Copying from my F3 to my External @ 25MB/s ... Worth mentioning my mobo is only USB2 and SATA2.

BIOS is different from chipset drivers though. I don't know that updating chipset drivers is going to do anything, but it won't hurt. SATA2 is fine, its not going to have any problem with mechanical hd speeds, and USB2 wouldn't matter since this is all happening without using the USB ports.

Back