TechSpot

HDMI 2.0 announced, brings 18 Gbps bandwidth for 60fps 4K video

By Scorpus
Sep 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The HDMI Forum has announced the release of HDMI 2.0 at IFA 2013, which ups the specification's bandwidth to 18 Gbps (from 10.2 Gbps in HDMI 1.4) and adds a range of new features designed for upcoming Ultra HDTVs.

Read more

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Wow, that's going to be nice, however im sure the prices will be significantly higher.

3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

You can use old cables, as long as they are certified as 2.0 capable. Some go for <$5 currently.

cmbjive likes this.
  4. highlander84

highlander84 TS Booster Posts: 103   +24

I don't see how thunderbolt can be competitive! Every laptop (except apple) comes with HDMI connections... it's a huge standard that Thunderbolt can never hope to overcome. I do not think I have ever seen a TV with a thunderbolt connection... however I'm sure there are a few...

5. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

HDMI is pretty ubiquitous at this point. Its in everything from cell phones to game consoles. And I can appreciate that HDMI 2.0 will work at 60 FPS. For computers, I'm happy with USB 3.0. My TV's take HDMI from the back of my video card. So I doubt I'd ever buy a device with Thunderbolt.

6. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

I have never even heard of Thunderbolt until I read this article! I thought HDMI was the only standard for audio/video.

7. Knowing how many changes did the 1.x series go through... I'd bet 20 Euros that a HDMI 2.1 or HDMI 2.0a will be out before December.

8. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

Thunderbolt needs to die!.. I don't want another cable standard, and another piece of hardware, and another piece of cable. since Display Port is free to license, unlike TB and HDMI, lets just go with display port.

9. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,919   +685

I wonder if the ps4 / Xbox one will use HDMI 2? For 4k films and the like...

10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

PS4 and Xbone are specced for HDMI 1.4 as far as I'm aware

11. GhostRyder

Well I knew that, but I mean the need for it for that resolution will cause those cords (the 2.0 ones) to be very pricey, im better in the triple digits range.

12. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,622   +376

There are always cheap cables around - if you are only talking cables sub 2m you won't have a problem getting one for single digits and not more than $20 for 5m. Plug it in and if it works, it works. Just try some high bitrate content. No point spending $100+ on a HDMI cable.

13. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,919   +685

Does that mean then 4K stuff on them will be able to run at 60fps or not though? I assume not since the bandwidth is considerably less but 30fps must be feasible?

14. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,622   +376

HDMI 1.4 officially is 4K @ 30Hz.

Jad Chaar and Burty117 like this.
  15. Jad Chaar

Lol a $300 HDMI cable from Best Buy = a $5 one on Amazon xD.

GhostRyder likes this.
  16. Jad Chaar

I dont get how you dont need new cables though....

17. GhostRyder

Well my thing is that ive seen HDMI cables that cost an arm and a leg (Hell I own a few) that are 65 dollars and only maybe 6 feet long. Just imagine the new tech, its going to be expensive for the new cables at least for the first year probably except on the off brands and real short ones.

18. Jad Chaar

I got a 6 foot BlueRigger HDMI cable a year back for <$5 and it works like a charm. It is now $8 on Amazon though.

19. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

The HDMI spec isn't actually that clear so I can see that that there will be some head scratching going on. The new 2.0 specification will still be compatible with the 19-pin out (Type A) that the previous cables use so long as the cable is designated "High Speed" (longer explanation here). Where it gets a little more complicated is that there is a Type B HDMI connector that is specifically designed for future high bandwidth displays and devices (second chart on this page) that is physically larger- as well as having 29 pins, that even the HDMI organisation is more than a little vague on.

As for pricing, it's like David Hannum said: "There's a sucker born every minute"

Burty117 and Jad Chaar like this.