HDMI / DVI and "normally" connected dual monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sernomicus

First off let me be clear on the fact that I don't actually know what I'm talking about, so it'd be kind of you to try and understand what I'm getting at :) I'm pretty much hardware handicap.

So,I bought a tv, so that I could watch tv, go figure. But also so that I could hook it up to be my second monitor, and to use the extended desktop feature, so that the tv and the monitor divide the view. The thing is, I'm running my PC view on the the TV through the HDMI / DVI socket with a very expensive cord I might add, leaving the the regular monitor hooked up with the "normal" socket. Computer recognizes two monitors hooked up, but only displays one, the TV. When I boot my computer, both screens show the boot up but are cloned. As soon as I hit the login screen, the monitor loses it's signal and goes blank, while the computer still recognizes it's plugged in.

This makes me think it has something to do with my graphics card, which is ATI Radeon 7500 LE, one of those basic default cheap *** cards that are plugged in brand computers.

Basicly, can I do something about it? Do I have to buy a new graphics card just for this? If so could you recommend something that can do what I want, is adequate to run newest games with normal settings and doesn't cost over 150e preferrably?

I don't have an ATi card so I don't know what the specifics are called, but if you right click on your desktop, go to properties, then the display settings tab. In there there is probably an advanced settings button, then that will bring up a window with several tabs. One of those will allow you to choose which display is the Primary monitor, and there should also be something in there like "extend desktop to this monitor". That should allow you to run both at once, and not have them both displaying the same thing.

The computer should be display # one; ie disconnect the TV and you should have a
normal system display.

Enable Dual Monitors and shown above, connect the TV.

Now open any window you wish, click-n-hold while dragging the window to the right
until it appears on monitor #2 (the TV)

Thanks. works perfectly.

(but the tv isn't showing any channels which is pissing me off, but that's unrelated...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back