HDMI monitor as TV?

Alexexex

Hi, I recently found a nice looking monitor, which supports full HD and HDMI. So I was wondering if I could use this monitor as a television for my Bell Reciever, which supports HDMI. I've been looking around and some sites suggested that you would need a TV tuner, which would convert TV signal to computer signal etc...
But in this case, where the monitor support HDMI I'm not sure if I do or not.

Also, what kind of picture quality would I be able to expect, I was assuming it would be just like a television, because of its 1080p resolution. Anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this idea.

Monitor
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...236112&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-24-236-112-_-Product

If the Bell Receiver is your satellite tuner and has an HDMI output that you can feed to the monitor you should be good to go. For HD digital sources your picture quality should be good, non HD sources will be a different story.

Some other ways of going about this;

What you're describing is also accomplished with an add-in tuner card, working in conjunction with Windows Media Center. This in the framework of a standard desktop computer. Also note, Windows Media Center is much improved in Windows 7. So, if you're using an earlier version of Windows, your results may vary.

I have no idea what you mean by a, "Bell Receiver".

There are some LCDS sold as "computer monitors, that have OTA Hi-Def tuners built in.

And based on mode of connectivity, you could also spring for a TV, then use it as a monitor.I'm not familiar with TV makes and models, but many small TVs are only 720p which is not the full hi-def standard. So, while this is an option also, I'm not purporting it to be necessarily the best option.

Continuing along, HDMI connectivity is more or less standard with 1920 X 1080 monitors. HOWEVER; you still have to check, because certain makers have switched to "display port" Hi-Def inputs, since they have to pay a licensing fee to include the HDMI port.

This all may be moot, if you've already settled on a particular screen.

Back