TechSpot

HDMI video but no audio, from Gigabyte MB to Samsung LCD TV

By rpseeke9633
Oct 13, 2009
  1. Hello. I have been researching my problem topic for several days now, and since I could not find the solution right for me, I thought it was time to post a topic.

I recently built a new desktop computer with a Gigabyte motherboard (NewEgg item N82E16813128397). My computer has no video card, so I am using the HDMI off the motherboard. I am connecting to my Samsung LCD TV, also with HDMI. Even though the picture is great, there is no sound. Correction, as I was doing Windows Updates, I realized that I had sound through HDMI, but later, I noticed it was gone, and I haven't heard it since.

I looked at my BIOS, and it says that the audio is enabled. As far as I know, the TV, motherboard, and cable are all HDMI v1.3, which supports audio. I also have sound drivers for an HDMI audio output, but when I select it nothing comes out. I have a "Realtek HD Audio Manager" installed, but I find it confusing and unhelpful; I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. I even tried reinstalling Windows XP, but I never got sound. For now, I am using speakers through the headphone jack to get sound.

There are several things in play here: the TV, the cable, the motherboard, the sound drivers, the software. Any ideas on how to break this down?

Thanks

UPDATE: I bought a new HDMI cable, and nothing changed, so I think I can rule it out. I've looked up and down the TV and see nothing I can change about it, but I wish I could test it somehow. That leaves the MB, the drivers, and the Realtek audio manager.

UPDATE: I got the trial of Windows 7 and installed it, and I don't get HDMI sound from it either. This seems to rule out the operating system. I am now looking to test the TV.

2. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

You can check this settings from CONTROL PANEL/SOUNDS and you should see your HDMI audio device, it should be enabled and set as default. You should also be able to see " Digital Audio (S/PDIF) " or HDMI in there.

A screenshot would be very useful as well.

3. rpseeke9633

rpseeke9633 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Image of my sound configuration

Unfortunately, I cannot post an image yet (since I am new to TechSpot), but you can see the image at this website. Go to rseekell.info and click on Problem Solving Page.

And yes, I checked the TV and it does make sound. I can hear the computer when plugged in with an analog sound cable to the TV.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.