TechSpot

HDMI vs. DVI

By TS-56336
Jul 31, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, users!

Can somebody compare and contrast the significance between an HDMI cable and a DVI input? I've been thinking for so long that an HDMI input display has an advantage for LCD monitors than the DVI ones from a video card.

What could be the simplest way to determine that an HDMI cable indeed has little to offer than a DVI display?

I'm currently using DVI by default, but I heard recommendations from different forums that I switch to HDMI input. And it gets a little confusing. Thanks :)

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,855   +184

HDMI Supports audio in addition to digital video, Where DVI only supports digital video.

3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

As Cobalt said, if you don't need sound to your monitor then HDMI will be the same as DVI.

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,356   +283

Exactly the same unless you're using dual-link DVI on a higher than 1080p monitor - then you might start running into some issues if you try that with HDMI.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.