Headphone and Speaker hookup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I have a pair of headphones that I use at night so I don't wake everyone in the building up, and during the day I normally have a set of 2.1 logitech speakers. Right now they are connected with a in-line Y to split the audio. But I'd like to hook up a second pair of 2.1 speakers behind me so I can have 4 channel sound during the day. I'm wondering if there is any software out there to have 4 channel on the speakers, and 2 channel out to my headphones without having to rewire/configure it every day.

Do you have a front panel headphone jack on your PC case? If so, you can use the front for headphones and the back with the splitter for four speakers.

I would, but when I built this pc I grabbed a cheap case that doesn't have front hookups. I've thought about buying an extra front panel and installing it, but i'd perfer a software fix.

Some speakers have a headphone jack built in. Maybe when you buy the second pair of speakers you can get one with such a jack, then you would be able to hook it all up.

well i would love the idea of having your headphones ready at all times without re-wire it. but beside 'front panel' and splitter i cannot think of other solution.

but if you have "connector retasking" in your sound device, it would be possible. one headphone jack, one front jack, one rear jack. when you switch to headphone just disable both of the speakers via option.

The connector retasking is exactly what I'm looking for. Except that unfortunately the Realtek/Asus software that came with the mobo doesn't do it. Right now I've got the headphones/front speakers hooked up with a Y to the primary sound, and the rear speakers to another. And I switch it back and forth between 2 and 4 channel via the Sound Manager. Which granted does work, but It'd be nice not having to go into the Control Panel every time.

well, its unfortunate your realtek does not have the function. indeed my laptop and desktop (gigabyte mobo) supports connector retasking. anyway what's your mobo?

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

It's the last and the fastest of the 939 socket. So it's dated, but it works well for most stuff still. I'm thinking I might be able to throw in a decent sound blaster card that can retask, but like I said, software > hardware fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back